Do I "need" a Sennheiser HD600/650/660S(S2) series headphone?
Feb 1, 2024 at 6:25 PM Post #16 of 48
I might have missed it - but do we know what amp and what music the OG @noneuser of the thread uses/likes?

I think the HD-600 is the best of the bunch (only heard the 660S2 for about 4 minutes - so no opinions) - but that's for me, with a very potent SS amp and an OTL tube, and I don't mind bass that's correct in timbre and speed, but lacking body under 70 Hz, maybe you do not.... not a headphone for all seasons.

So, please tell us more.

p.s. I think the planar comment is a good idea assuming you have some juice. HFM is probably the strongest brand in the sub $500 range, if that's the direction you go.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #18 of 48
I might have missed it - but do we know what amp and what music the OG @noneuser of the thread uses/likes?

I think the HD-600 is the best of the bunch (only heard the 660S2 for about 4 minutes - so no opinions) - but that's for me, with a very potent SS amp and an OTL tube, and I don't mind bass that's correct in timbre and speed, but lacking body under 70 Hz, maybe you do not.... not a headphone for all seasons.

So, please tell us more.
Thanks all for the replies!

My main type of music is metal, Thrash, Death metal, aggressive stuff. Let’s say it’s 90% of what I hear.

But… I also listen to neo classical stuff (Max Richter, for instance) and intimate music like late Nick Cave on piano, and post-punk (Joy Division, Bauhaus, etc.), among other things.

So, pretty eclectic but my main taste is really metal stuff/guitar oriented music. :)

My headphone amp is the iFi Zen DAC (V1), that I plan to complement with the Zen CAN for more power.

Hope it helps! :)

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #19 of 48
Thanks all for the replies!

My main type of music is metal, Thrash, Death metal, aggressive stuff. Let’s say it’s 90% of what I hear.

But… I also listen to neo classical stuff (Max Richter, for instance) and intimate music like late Nick Cave on piano, and post-punk (Joy Division, Bauhaus, etc.), among other things.

So, pretty eclectic but my main taste is really metal stuff :)

For my headphone amp, I have the iFi Zen DAC (V1), that I plan to complement with the Zen CAN for more power.

Hope it helps! :)
Forget about the Senn HD-6**'s not for you. Planars - HFM Sundara or XS first stop. I cannot recommend the Mass Drop 4XX - too colored. I think you'd be happier with the XS - it's tuned in a way that would support your music. There is a large used market for HFM headphones as well to save some coin.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #20 of 48
Forget about the Senn HD-6**'s not for you. Planars - HFM Sundara or XS first stop. I cannot recommend the Mass Drop 4XX - too colored. I think you'd be happier with the XS - it's tuned in a way that would support your music. There is a large used market for HFM headphones as well to save some coin.
Hummm… and what about the HFM 400se, the “baby Sundara”? Would you recommend it for the kind of stuff I listen to?

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 7:29 PM Post #21 of 48
Hummm… and what about the HFM 400se, the “baby Sundara”? Would you recommend it for the kind of stuff I listen to?
It's better than the 4XX. It's a pretty good can.

Feb 2, 2024 at 6:26 AM Post #22 of 48
Yes, go for a HD580 (if you can source one) or a HD600 or HD650. They're different but the same.

Feb 2, 2024 at 6:43 AM Post #23 of 48
Save up some money and get a used Meze 109 Pro. Incredible value considering how good it is. Once you got a taste of what’s possible with headphones you don’t want to languish on the 600/650 level any longer. I say that as a loyal Sennheiser guy but the times have moved on.
i have both the 660s 2 and 109 and both are great in their own ways so they are keepers for me
109 is fantastic with some eq.
and the 109 can run great from anything, it even sounded great from my xbox controller

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #24 of 48
Yup. Based on what the OP likes, they probably want a planar. Something fast and articulate. The HFM Sundara is a good (and metal friendly) alternative to the Sennheiser HD6X0 series. And it can be found new for ~$200.

Feb 2, 2024 at 1:12 PM Post #25 of 48
It happens that I really like the HD599's. They have a very pleasing sound that I really like (even for metal music - 90% of what I hear).

Well, recently the idea of having an HD6XX series headphones appeared...

BUT, given my the collection, would the addition of an 6XX series make sense, or in other words, be "wise" to buy? Or would be a waste of money as the need for them, given what I already have, don't justify it's purchase?

And since I already have the 599's, would you say they sound like 95% of the HD650 for instance?

I am a big fan of the HD590, it is a precursor to your 599s and has been discontinued for over 20 years. It measures very similar to the HD650 but is much more comfortable.

You don't need to own the HD6XX, but it is an iconic headphone. My HD580s (same driver and almost the same exact housing as the HD600) were my first time experiencing the legendary line so that is why I will never get rid of my pair.

Feb 2, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #26 of 48
Yup. Based on what the OP likes, they probably want a planar. Something fast and articulate. The HFM Sundara is a good (and metal friendly) alternative to the Sennheiser HD6X0 series. And it can be found new for ~$200.
i was going to name that, but I read someone had 4 of them fail !? Mmmmm. I'd still hold out for the XS, bigger soundstage more bass.

Feb 2, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #27 of 48
i was going to name that, but I read someone had 4 of them fail !? Mmmmm. I'd still hold out for the XS, bigger soundstage more bass.
HFM in general, no matter the model, have a reputation for higher-than-standard failure rates straight out of the box. Thankfully, they also have good customer service. The other option is to only buy HFM headphones as open box/refurb models since those would already have leapt that first hurdle (opening the box) and might even have undergone additional testing.

Feb 2, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #28 of 48
HFM in general, no matter the model, have a reputation for higher-than-standard failure rates straight out of the box. Thankfully, they also have good customer service. The other option is to only buy HFM headphones as open box/refurb models since those would already have leapt that first hurdle (opening the box) and might even have undergone additional testing.
I agree on the open box idea. HF and other sites are replete with tales of poor quality control. My experience is very good 11 - including several over 10 years old, the only issue was my HEX v2 - the pads and headband started flaking after 6 years.

My complaints are aimed at the issues outside of the drivers - cables, pads, rear screens of the round cups, headbands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back