Do I need a headphone amp?
May 2, 2011 at 12:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

lyle

New Head-Fier
[size=10pt]I have never been a headphone guy preferring the sound of my old Quad electrostats or current Magnepans, but living space and times have changed and I am in need some guidance.  I have purchased a pair of HiFiiMan HE5LE headphones and the sound is spectacular to say the least and they are not even broken in yet, I should have gone this route years ago.  So here is the question!  My current configuration is a Bryston speaker switch box, with a headphone jack that has a 150 ohm current limiting resistor on each headphone channel and will turn two speaker outputs on and or off, so no wiring changes.  This is connected to a Grant Fidelity A-348 integrated 50wpc KT88 tube amp on the 4 ohm speaker terminals, as this is my preference for the Maggies.  From what I can determine a headphone amp will produce 3wpc max and I do not know if there would be any benefit to one, but there may be something in this equation that I am missing.  I hear no hum, buzz or any other transient noise with my current configuration, but would bite the bullet and purchase a headphone amp if there could be an improvement in sound.  Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated![/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]Cheers [/size]
[size=10pt]Lyle      [/size]

May 2, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #2 of 2
X2 on the old Quads - I love mine. Maggies are pretty wonderful, too. :)

It sounds like what you're doing is working fine. If you're not hearing any problems, why change?

Enjoy your gear - you've picked up some very nice stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back