Do I need a headphone amp?
Dec 10, 2002 at 10:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

absolutofft

Head-Fier
I started out with Sony MDR V600s and over a month ago I changed them to Sennheiser HD580s and while I have been very happy to get away from the exagerrated treble of the sonys I feel I need more impact.

My source is a computer with an audigy soundcard. The 580s sound quite good at 3/4 volume but to get the kind of impact I had with the sonys I have to crank the volume up and it just doesn't really get that loud and it doesn't sound that good when I crank the volume which I suppose is distortion.

I read on tangents site that a basic META42 amp could be had for about $70 US. I do not know what this includes but I know I would like to have rca inputs and a minijack input and I also want it to be wallpowered. How much would the amp cost with these features?

How much would it cost for an amp with a nice polished metal case with a nice metal knob?

Thanks
Aaron Wilson

edit: I forgot to mention I also use a sony cd player as source that is why I would also like to have rca inputs.

Dec 10, 2002 at 11:11 AM Post #2 of 8
Yes you need an amp. I do believe a META42 is $70.00(in parts) if you build it yourself. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Try to get a Cmoy, CHA47, or a supermini, they are around your price point.

BUt....minus well save your money and blow it on a tube amp! Join team sonic adenture! :-D! ....guesss thats the lack of sleep talking...

john

Dec 10, 2002 at 12:08 PM Post #3 of 8
lol.... has anyone asked that question and NOT gotten an answer of yes?
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2002 at 11:35 AM Post #5 of 8
So what price are you looking at for what I described?

The idea of building it myself for $70 in parts does seem interesting. Are there any more in depth instructions than the ones on tangents website?

Dec 11, 2002 at 1:47 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by blip
lol.... has anyone asked that question and NOT gotten an answer of yes?
biggrin.gif

I dunno. Maybe we're overzealous. Perhaps before answering, we should ask "Do you own a set of headphones?"
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 11, 2002 at 1:49 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by absolutofft
So what price are you looking at for what I described?

The idea of building it myself for $70 in parts does seem interesting. Are there any more in depth instructions than the ones on tangents website?

A great resource is the projects library at www.headwize.com

Dec 12, 2002 at 7:09 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
I dunno. Maybe we're overzealous. Perhaps before answering, we should ask "Do you own a set of headphones?"
very_evil_smiley.gif

lol
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back