Do I need a DAC?
Jan 26, 2015 at 4:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Paloking

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I currently own the ATH-M50's and the Philips citiscape Uptowns (also SoundMagic HP200/ Philips Fidelio S2 IEM's on the way) so I'm not sure whether I should buy a DAC. Theyre both fairly efficient headphones so I'm not sure if buying a DAC would be worth it. So do you think I should buy one (if so what do you recommend [200$budget])?

TL;DR - is a DAC for m50's necessary? Good DAC for <200$AUD

Thanks for any help given!

Jan 26, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #2 of 18
Efficiency (aka sensitivity) is related to amplification, not the DAC. If you get a desktop DAC, you will also need an amp. DACs are not designed to drive headphones by themselves. You don't need an amp or a DAC, but it can improve sound quality - though not nearly as much as simply upgrading your headphones.

Jan 27, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #3 of 18
Unless you have bad buzzing from your computer, I'd say no. Most of those headphones aren't really Hi-Fi enough to tell the difference. On the other hand, spending $200 on a new pair of cans will certainly improve sound quality.

EDIT: Grammar 

Jan 27, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #5 of 18
  Efficiency (aka sensitivity) is related to amplification, not the DAC. If you get a desktop DAC, you will also need an amp. DACs are not designed to drive headphones by themselves. You don't need an amp or a DAC, but it can improve sound quality - though not nearly as much as simply upgrading your headphones.

Unless you have bad buzzing from your computer, I'd say no. Most of those headphones aren't really Hi-Fi enough to tell the difference. On the other hand, spending $200 on a new pair of cans will certainly improve sound quality.

EDIT: Grammar 

Upgrading my headphones .. good idea, any recommendations ?

What are you currently using to listen to your headphones (make/model)?

At the moment i use my Laptop (Hp Elitebook Folio 1040 G1) and my Galaxy S5. Don't own any DAC/AMP equipment.

Jan 27, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #6 of 18
If you are listening near maximum volume on those devices, then a headphone amp might help some to improve the dynamics and result in a bit of SQ increase.

Jan 27, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #7 of 18
  Upgrading my headphones .. good idea, any recommendations ?

Read through these:
http://www.head-fi.org/a/head-fi-buying-guide-introduction
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-open

Make a list of ones that interest you based on the descriptions, then research those models and try hearing them yourself.

Jan 29, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #8 of 18
Need? Maybe not. Will it make a difference - hell yeah!

I opened this can of worms last year. I also have the M50s (great headphones, so versatile, comfortable) and thought sound might be better with more expensive headphones. I tried some and the sound was better, but not as much as I hoped,

I eventually realised it was the source that was the limitation, and bought a DAC. I bought the ifi Nano. There are some clicking issues between formats but what a difference in sound quality it made. For my use (rock, jazz and classical) the volume is plenty loud enough to use on its own. In my view a DAC was well worth the investment for a ~$200 system.

Now the problem ...

Once you come to realise how much better sound is with a small DAC, you then try a bigger DAC, and then a dedicated Headphone Amp to go with it - and then better headphones - and $4k-$6k could easily slip away.

But for better sound with a small investment in a portable or compact device - get a DAC.

Jan 29, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #9 of 18
If you are listening near maximum volume on those devices, then a headphone amp might help some to improve the dynamics and result in a bit of SQ increase.

Fair enough, makes sense!

At the moment I have the Philips Fidelio S2 IEM / Sound magic Hp200 on the way, soon the HD598's. I think I have decent enough gear for now, thanks to guide / thread recommendations.
Need? Maybe not. Will it make a difference - hell yeah!

I opened this can of worms last year. I also have the M50s (great headphones, so versatile, comfortable) and thought sound might be better with more expensive headphones. I tried some and the sound was better, but not as much as I hoped,

I eventually realised it was the source that was the limitation, and bought a DAC. I bought the ifi Nano. There are some clicking issues between formats but what a difference in sound quality it made. For my use (rock, jazz and classical) the volume is plenty loud enough to use on its own. In my view a DAC was well worth the investment for a ~$200 system.

Now the problem ...

Once you come to realise how much better sound is with a small DAC, you then try a bigger DAC, and then a dedicated Headphone Amp to go with it - and then better headphones - and $4k-$6k could easily slip away.

But for better sound with a small investment in a portable or compact device - get a DAC.

Yea I think you have a good point, I'll probably look into a decent affordable DAC once I can afford it :) thanks for your advice!!

Jan 29, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #10 of 18
my progress:

(1) not caring about DACs.
(2) bought the E17  and HifimeDIY Sabre DAC [ Fantastic, unbelievable improvement in imaging and soundstage. specially with the sabre DAC]
(3) XMOS DAC [ somewhat noticeable improvement to the Sabre DAC]
(4) Schiit Bifrost Uber [ Not a "huge improvement", subtle improvements]

Jan 29, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #11 of 18
At the moment I have the Philips Fidelio S2 IEM / Sound magic Hp200 on the way, soon the HD598's. I think I have decent enough gear for now, thanks to guide / thread recommendations.

Yea I think you have a good point, I'll probably look into a decent affordable DAC once I can afford it
smily_headphones1.gif
thanks for your advice!!

Congrats. I have some Philips headphones coming my way soon as well.

Just make sure that once you get the DAC, you are able to actually use it. Many DACs can't connect directly to headphones and need an amp.

Jan 29, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #12 of 18
Yea I think you have a good point, I'll probably look into a decent affordable DAC once I can afford it
smily_headphones1.gif
thanks for your advice!!

If I were back at the starting point, and knew what I know now, I would likely buy the Oppo HA-1. It's quite a lot more money, but it is quite a lot more amp. Its DAC also handles DSD format files, which was important to me and one of the reasons I ended up with the Ifi Nano. But that is also equipment for a fixed location, not portable.

And once you have a better amp, and better headphones you will also start needing better music files, which will have you replacing many of those old MP3s with 24-bit and DSD format music.

For now I'm refraining and looking to see other equipment else might come out in 2015.

Jan 30, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #13 of 18
  my progress:

(1) not caring about DACs.
(2) bought the E17  and HifimeDIY Sabre DAC [ Fantastic, unbelievable improvement in imaging and soundstage. specially with the sabre DAC]
(3) XMOS DAC [ somewhat noticeable improvement to the Sabre DAC]
(4) Schiit Bifrost Uber [ Not a "huge improvement", subtle improvements]

Sounds like whats going to happen to me ^^ 

Congrats. I have some Philips headphones coming my way soon as well.

Just make sure that once you get the DAC, you are able to actually use it. Many DACs can't connect directly to headphones and need an amp.

Yea ill make sure to do my research, thanks ! 

If I were back at the starting point, and knew what I know now, I would likely buy the Oppo HA-1. It's quite a lot more money, but it is quite a lot more amp. Its DAC also handles DSD format files, which was important to me and one of the reasons I ended up with the Ifi Nano. But that is also equipment for a fixed location, not portable.

And once you have a better amp, and better headphones you will also start needing better music files, which will have you replacing many of those old MP3s with 24-bit and DSD format music.

For now I'm refraining and looking to see other equipment else might come out in 2015.

Issue with something like the Oppo HA-1 is that it cost way too much for me, considering i have a 200$ budget :frowning2:

Jan 30, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #14 of 18
If youre just starting to get into amps and DACs, i recommend looking at the Schiit gear, namely the ever popular Modi and Magni combo. It is just a hair under $200, for a very capable DAC and amp combo, and if you do want to upgrade you can do so incrementally and one component at a time.

Jan 31, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #15 of 18
If youre just starting to get into amps and DACs, i recommend looking at the Schiit gear, namely the ever popular Modi and Magni combo. It is just a hair under $200, for a very capable DAC and amp combo, and if you do want to upgrade you can do so incrementally and one component at a time.

They look pretty promising and very upgradable, how do you think they par with the JDS 02/Odac combo? Considering the price difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back