Do I need a cable upgrade?
Apr 9, 2008 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

StevenBrouwer

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there,

I want some opinions on this from you guys. This is my concurrent setup:

Laptop - emu 0404 usb - simple 3,5mm stereo jack to 2x rca tulp male - Pioneer sx 450 (from the 70ties) - normal electrical wires - Dynamco A25 speakers (also 70s)

Now I was wondering whether is worth upgrading the cables?
Upgrading with 2x mono 6,3mm jack to tulp adapter and 2x expensive male tulp to male tulp between the emu and pioneer (distance = 30 cm).

Between the pioneer and speakers: what should I take there? Anything special? The speakers are 1 and 4 meters away from the amplifier.

Every suggestion helps. Thanks!

Apr 9, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 7
Unless you've got extremely long runs of cable, there's no reason for anything but normal cabling. Use the money on music instead.

See ya
Steve

Apr 9, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 7
Oke, but does the emu 0404 usb 3,5mm stereo jack output give a signal as good as the 2x mono 6,3mm jack line out?

Apr 9, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #4 of 7
Hi Steven, the best way is to try some before buying and listen and judge for your self.
Cables can do a lot, although there are scepticals that doubt this, because there is no practical theory that can prove it in black and white.

I am a believer by the way. (Hmm should be, I am selling them
biggrin.gif
.)

3.5 or 2x 6.3 will not be a big difference.

Also important is the quality of the music itself. At 128kb there will never be a big difference.

Rgds

Hans

Apr 9, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #5 of 7
Before you spend any money on cables, search the Internet for information about whether they make any difference at all. Read the arguments and make up your own mind about whether they are convincing.

Keep in mind that cables usually have markups of dozens, if not hundreds, of times the cost of materials. Also that anyone selling cables is asking you to replace a working product. The cables you have now work, don't they?

Apr 10, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenBrouwer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oke, but does the emu 0404 usb 3,5mm stereo jack output give a signal as good as the 2x mono 6,3mm jack line out?

Yes. The size of the jack doesn't matter. The connections on the circuit boards inside the electronics themselves are much tinier than the smallest jack. The only time you need a cable that is different from the average is if you are doing very long runs. Cables under six feet or so all sound exactly the same. The only difference is the build quality. If you like your wires to wear sweaters, or enjoy looking at pretty braiding inside clear insulation, you have to pay extra for the bling bling.

See ya
Steve

Apr 10, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #7 of 7
Thank you guys for the clear answers! I will keep it as it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back