Do I need a better amp?
Feb 18, 2013 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

gopanthersgo1

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been using the Magni lately, and today I bought the Mad Dogs with Alpha pads... anyone know what amp would pair nicely with these if I even need a new one? I don't want to be getting single digit percentage increases with a much more expensive amp, as I have other hobbies (Video-fi and PC-fi), and need funds for those as well.

Thanks,
Mark K.

Feb 18, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:
I have been using the Magni lately, and today I bought the Mad Dogs with Alpha pads... anyone know what amp would pair nicely with these if I even need a new one? I don't want to be getting single digit percentage increases with a much more expensive amp, as I have other hobbies (Video-fi and PC-fi), and need funds for those as well.

Thanks,
Mark K.

Heya,

The Mad Dog is a very efficient headphone. You have way more amplification than you even need already with the Magni.

The only difference you'll get from a different amp, is coloration.

Very best,

Feb 18, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Heya,

The Mad Dog is a very efficient headphone. You have way more amplification than you even need already with the Magni.

The only difference you'll get from a different amp, is coloration.

Very best,

And that should not be the sole reason for buying an amp, IMO. 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #5 of 16
So no huge benefits? Not even verses a tube amp? If so, good, I've been wanting a nice DAC to plug my speakers and headphones into! :D

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #6 of 16
Due to the fact that they're orthos, make sure the amp has a low output impedance, especially if it's a tube amp. Stay away from OTL tube amps (e.g. Bottlehead Crack), go for a Single Ended Triode design instead.

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #7 of 16
Should I be fine with the magni?

Feb 19, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #8 of 16
Yes, it has a fairly low output impedance. Was sharing that info in case you ever decided to try tubes.

Feb 19, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:
If your amp isn't going into clipping, then it is pointless buying a new one:

http://tom-morrow-land.com/tests/ampchall/index.htm

One reason to buy a new amp is if your headphones are difficult to drive, like low impedance or with a low impedance dip in the impedance curve.  Or perhaps they are inefficient, or low sensitivity.  

It would be hard to believe that clipping would ever be an issue, though, unless the amp were very under-designed, and the headphones were very low Z. 

Feb 19, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:
One reason to buy a new amp is if your headphones are difficult to drive, like low impedance or with a low impedance dip in the impedance curve.  Or perhaps they are inefficient, or low sensitivity.  

It would be hard to believe that clipping would ever be an issue, though, unless the amp were very under-designed, and the headphones were very low Z. 

Yes, but it would take a pretty under-designed amp to have the impedance issue! Didn't the Nameless One say that modern headphones amps tend to be around 1 ohm? Amp-phone combinations with impedance mis-match are going to pretty damn rare.

Feb 19, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #11 of 16
I disagree.  The iPod classic has an output impedance of 5-7 ohms, and many ear buds have an impedance of 16 ohms, so that makes for a dampening mismatch.  Many stereo receivers have an output impedance of 120 ohms on their headphone jack.  All OTL tube amps have a variable, but typically high, output impedance.  The Beyerdynamic A1 has an output impedance of 120 ohms.  

Quote:

Yes, but it would take a pretty under-designed amp to have the impedance issue! Didn't the Nameless One say that modern headphones amps tend to be around 1 ohm? Amp-phone combinations with impedance mis-match are going to pretty damn rare.

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #12 of 16
So no new amp, right?

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #13 of 16
What is it you don't specifically like about your current amp?  That is the only important question and answer.

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #14 of 16
I would say go for an output transformer coupled tube amp or a hybrid tube amp if you want tubes.  

Quote:
Due to the fact that they're orthos, make sure the amp has a low output impedance, especially if it's a tube amp. Stay away from OTL tube amps (e.g. Bottlehead Crack), go for a Single Ended Triode design instead.

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Does a 32 ohm output impedance sound at all familiar?  Haven't we danced this dance before?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back