Do I have too many headphones? (Just saying Hi! But with poll...)
May 22, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #16 of 22
I have one pair for different uses:
- IEMs (HIFIMAN RE-400i) when going out
- Fullsize sealed (Sennheiser Momentum) for travelling
- Fullsize open (HIFIMAN HE-560) for home listening
- Speakers (Logitech S220) for watching movies / playing games (I don't care that much about SQ in this case, but these speakers sound really fine)

May 22, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #17 of 22
The most I've ever had at any one time was nine pairs (not including the bundled crap you get with phones etc). These days I'm down to two pairs. One for at my desk in the house & the other for when I'm out & about.

I do see a pair of DT150's on the horizon though, for those times in the hose when isolation is required.

Gordon.

May 24, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #21 of 22

I do see a pair of DT150's on the horizon though, for those times in the house when isolation is required.

Gordon.

Made for studio use, the DT150 clamps very hard and is really uncomfortable. Are you sure you want them for home use?

Aren't there more suitable options out there, like DT770, DT660, SRH440?

May 24, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #22 of 22
Another important aspect is to provide signature/tonality variety across your collection.

My preference is bright/analytical, when I first joined Head-fi not even myself knew what kind of sound I wanted, this took trial and error. Once I found it I started buying several bright IEM/headphones and some started sounding very similar to each other.

Now I try and balance that out with some warmer sounding gear. Bright will be my natural preference, but it depends on your listening environment and mood. At 2am in the morning when I just want  music rather than analyze it a bright overly detailed headphone doesn't make sense.

I try and share the signatures out a little, some warm, some bright.  The key is not letting your collection cause boredom.

By switching between several signatures and tonality you never adjust completely to one which in turn (for me) prevents immunity to its performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back