Do I have sensitive ears? (Grado SR-225 related)
Aug 5, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #16 of 49
Hey, what's with the TOOL bashing?!
angry_face.gif
wink.gif

rds:
Even though I was offended by your post, it made me laugh.
wink_face.gif

It was Ænima, and I think it sounds prettty darn good, both the production and the music, but let's not turn this into a TOOL discussion.

I really appreciate all your replies and advice, so thanks. I'm kinda glad I'm not the only one feeling this way about the 225's, because I was starting to question my own judgement.

donunus:
Thanks for your informative post. I'll give the flat pads a try, and if I still find the 225's to be fatiguing, I'll sell them and buy a different pair of cans. I hope I have the same experience as you with the flat pads.

windrider:
Yes, I'll probably buy a high end Sennheiser in the future, because I'm really impressed by the PX100's sound. Thanks for the tip!

tomb:
Yep, I feel the same way about the 225's and the PX100's. Having the best from both worlds would be heaven, so a pair of Senn's from the high end series could be the answer to my prayers.

Marco2:
Your description of the Senn's is what I'm looking for in a pair of headphones.

Thanks again for all your answers! They're really helpful.

Aug 5, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #17 of 49
The sr60 with flats is basically similar to a px100 with more definition and punch. its not trebley anymore. I hope you enjoy the flats with your 225s. I have hd600s and they are in between the grado flats and bowls in terms of brightness. So yes, flats make the 60s less bright than hd600s! I'm listening right at this moment

Aug 5, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #18 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
aaron313,
If anything grados are actually too creamy and dull using flats
biggrin.gif
but if you read my comment above youll see that they might match the OPs needs. Looking at your rig seeing that you have ad2000s, grados with flats are dull in comparison yet not as dry sounding by nature as the ad2000s in your signature.

When I had the 325i, I at one time used reverse-quarter-modded comfies. I think the sound was much more agreeable that way, although they were a bit heavy for those squishy pads. With flats, the sound might have been affected in the same way. And you are right that the AD2000 is dry... very, very dry.

Aug 5, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #19 of 49
Try turning down the volume a bit -- when I first started listening, it felt like a ear stabbing. Bad recordings still stab on the esses (sss sung sounds like a needle - it even makes me flinch sometimes), but generally if you keep it low it shouldn't be too bad.

Or invest in a tube amp, which is said to tame the highs (Seems to be the general consensus).

x5 (or somthing like that) on comfies or flats -- even RadioShack replacement pads tame the highs and boost the bass.

I'm listening to my Grados right now and I'm flinching while tapping my feet
biggrin.gif

Aug 5, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #20 of 49
hahaha turn it down is a good suggestion but it will also make the bass even thinner. The OP seems to have taken a liking to the px100s so more bass is probably a wanted thing.

Aug 5, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #22 of 49
I actually thought the same, they get a little to bright for me to handle at times. It's very rare for this to happen though, and I find them to be an enjoyable pair of headphones.

The most interesting thing is the fact that I see only a slight performace difference between my SR-80s and SR-225s. What makes things weirder is the fact that when I first auditioned my SR-80s alongside SR-125s I could hear a significant sonic difference, most dominatly in the overall balance the SR-125s presented over the lower Grado pairs.

Aug 5, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #23 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by peepee-king /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually thought the same, they get a little to bright for me to handle at times. It's very rare for this to happen though, and I find them to be an enjoyable pair of headphones.

The most interesting thing is the fact that I see only a slight performace difference between my SR-80s and SR-225s. What makes things weirder is the fact that when I first auditioned my SR-80s alongside SR-125s I could hear a significant sonic difference, most dominatly in the overall balance the SR-125s presented over the lower Grado pairs.

i was considering to buy the sr225...but also the ad900s caught my attention, i see from your signature that you have both...how do the ad900 compare to the grados with music rock/metal ? And the most important thing ...do they clamp tight on the head ? I'm looking to buy a new phone because i can't stand the dt-990 pros, even with the headband bent a little to reduce clamping...they've just too big cups that press on my head on the wrong places to be comfortable...

Aug 5, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #24 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliboeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i was considering to buy the sr225...but also the ad900s caught my attention, i see from your signature that you have both...how do the ad900 compare to the grados with music rock/metal ? And the most important thing ...do they clamp tight on the head ? I'm looking to buy a new phone because i can't stand the dt-990 pros, even with the headband bent a little to reduce clamping...they've just too big cups that press on my head on the wrong places to be comfortable...

I almost always pick up my AD-900s before my Grados. The AD-900s won't give you the warm, upfront and very musical feel the SR-225s do, but they have many other qualities which, to me, make them the better pair.

IMHE they're not that much more detailed, maybe faster (attack/decay). They're a lot more natural/airy sounding, have more impactful and detailed bass and are many times more comfortable.

I don't listen to much metal, but rock sounds great on them. The details in the highs is amazing. Unlike the Grados, claps, guitar picking and snares etc have a much more vibrant, life-like sonic appearance. It's a lot darker on the Grados, but they're not too far behind in terms of detail. The AD-900 may be fatiguing to a lot of people but it's a signature I really like.

Clamping isn't much of an issue and I wear glasses. Depends on the shape of your head I guess? Grados with bowls squeeze my glasses against my head which can be painful unless I rest my glasses on top of them. With flat/comfies they're fine. Back to the AD-900s; the soundstage is also much wider which sounds better and helps with gaming. I actually want to upgrade to AD-2000s... but I'll leave that for another day; hopefully another year! (doubt it lol)

This is all in my experience though, I'm sure opinions will vary.

Aug 5, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #25 of 49
...i think that in the end i would like the signature both of the grado and the AT...not that i dislike my dt-990, different from my ms1 but better for some artists....but confort is really an issue for me...i find many circumaural headphones painful, especially the 990 which have very large cups,because they press against the joint of my jaw ( for example i have a pair of philips shp805 which are circumaural but with zero clamping force, so they are tolerable...for a comparison, on my head both the ms1 and the 805 do not clamp at all )...i don't know how are the AD900 designed, but judging from the photos cushions are not very deep and have a sort of bowl shape which i wonder rests rather on the ear than putting all the pressure around it...but this surely depends on the shape of your head...

Aug 5, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #26 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sr60 with flats is basically similar to a px100 with more definition and punch. its not trebley anymore. I hope you enjoy the flats with your 225s. I have hd600s and they are in between the grado flats and bowls in terms of brightness. So yes, flats make the 60s less bright than hd600s! I'm listening right at this moment

That sounds very promising. I ordered the flats yesterday, so they should be here in a week or so. 50 bucks for some foam doesn't feel good, but it's definitely worth a try, because the 225's have qualities that I'll surely miss If I sell them.

Aug 5, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #27 of 49
I hope your flats resolve your issue. I truly enjoy my SR-225's;however, ever since I upgraded my X-Fi to a prelude and got some AH-D 2000's (dig the bass), I have not touched my Grados.

Aug 6, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #28 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowfreight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope your flats resolve your issue. I truly enjoy my SR-225's;however, ever since I upgraded my X-Fi to a prelude and got some AH-D 2000's (dig the bass), I have not touched my Grados.

Flats are for RS models right? I ask because the flats I own dont fit on my SR models very well. They'll stay in place but have room to move around when not seated on your ears. I actually lost one of the pads last night, fell off while I was heading home from work. Bowl pads wouldn't have this problem...

Aug 6, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #30 of 49
RS and SR models have the same fittings. If your flats keep on falling theres either something wrong with them or you put them on backwards. Put the side with the cuts facing out. They are a perfect fit for my sr60s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back