Do I have sensitive ears? (Grado SR-225 related)
Aug 4, 2008 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

Mogwai

New Head-Fier
I bought a pair of used 225's a month ago, and I've been listening to them everyday since. My first impression was very positive. I heard detals I've never heard before, the solid midrange made rock really alive, but sadly, after a while, the somewhat harsh and analytical sound of the 225's started to bother me. At higher volumes, it feels like my ears are cringing at the aggressiveness of the 225's.

I listened to some TOOL today, which in my opinion is some of the best produced rock out there. I first used the 225's, and then I put on the Sennheiser PX100. This is probably blasphemy for a lot of people in here, but the PX100's actually gave me a much more enjoyable experience. Yes, the bass is a bit bloated and I lost some detalis compared to the 225's, but it just sounded fuller and better.

For acoustic music, laid back pop/rock and jazz, the 225's are great, for heavy metal, hardcore, and aggressive rock in general, they're just too fatiguing. I know most people disagree with this statement, but I stand by it.

Are my ears overly sensitive, or could it have something to do with the fact that I'm so used to the sound coming from budget/midrange audio equipment, that the analytical (correct?) sound from the high end 225's is too revealing and make music sound "unatural"?

I'm sorry to say, but the 225's will be replaced in the near future, because the Grado sound isn't for my ears.

I'm thinking about buying either the Sennheiser HD595, HD600 or the HD650. Any recommendations?

Aug 4, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #2 of 49
I guess the the analytical sound of some headphones is uncomfortable for some. Ofcourse, the source/music itself plays a big part, and to be honest, I wouldn't say that TOOL's music is some of the best produced rock. What source were you using?

Aug 4, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #3 of 49
Consider replacing your bowl pads with flat pads. You'll lose a little "soundstage," but I found the bowls emphasized too much reverb, sibilance, etc. - they made my HP-2's a painful listen. Also, you'll get more bass with the flat pads, since the drivers will be closer to your ears - some people prefer this, others don't.

Also, take care with your volume settings. There can be too much of a good thing.

Aug 4, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #4 of 49
Mogwai, you are not alone.

I also prefer my PX100 over SR225 (thus SR225 is currently eating dust)

If you have amp, get HD6xx, if not, get HD595. You won't regret.

Edit : for my case, replacing bowl to flat did not solve the problem.

Aug 4, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #5 of 49
Try the TOOL mod - put in earplugs first
tongue.gif

Aug 4, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #6 of 49
was it Lateralus? Tool has unfortunately fallen to the redline squashed dynamics illness, where everything is compressed and shouting and sizzling like bacon non-stop. cans like the PX100 will be more forgiving for that since it'll mush up the playback, but revealing cans like the Grado will play it back just as it was recorded, which is a Hot Mess. Go use those Grados on something that was recorded without those "modern" recording tricks, and you'll hear some sweet music.

Aug 4, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #9 of 49
Please don't use word analytical, because Grados are not it.
Yes, Grados are rather uneven in upper registers, the question is-do you like it or not.

Aug 4, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #10 of 49
you sound like you need to try a pair of hd600s
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 4, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #11 of 49
I agree with the OP about the SR225's. I'm glad I got them, but they are not my first choice for extended listening - just not enough deep bass and a high end that can be quickly fatiguing.

Surprisingly, the PX-100's have some very fine, very low kick. However, they miss even the slightest sparkle that every KSC75 possesses.

So, I would say that there are headphones available that are inbetween. Many have already suggested them, but the Senn's HD580/600/650's will give all of that PX-100 bass kick and warmth, but add in the highs that are missing - not as much as the Grado's, but enough to make you think you're not missing anything by comparison.

The Sennheiser HD25-1 II's are also a very neutral set of cans that can provide a lot of the Grado highs without the aggressiveness. Sadly, they don't have the really strong bottom kick that the PX-100/HD580/600/650 series have, though.

Aug 4, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #12 of 49
From your description of what you don't like about the 225's I think you may well be very happy with 600's or 650's. IMO, much fuller bodied sound, highs are not half as fierce, better soundstage.

Alot of people feel that the 600's and 650's can't rock but I personally feel they can in the right rig. Not as forward as a Grado, but still engaging none the less.

Definatly have them on our shortlist and take a listen, I think you will be glad you did.

Aug 4, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #13 of 49
Get Flats from ttvj.com

I just got flats and bowls yesterday and have been trying them both out with my sr60s. The flats add bass and sparkle compared to the original comfy pads while also being tighter defined. The flats will lose the extra detail compared to the bowl pads(what you got stock with your 225s) though because in comparison they lack top end sparkle and add at least 6db to the bass.

With Flat Pads... Think around the same fullness as the px100 (and yes, i have a px100 also) plus some sparkle unlike the super dull px100s. The plasticky flaws of the upper mids of the sr60s are also toned down compared to using the comfies or bowls. In relation to your purpose, I was listening to dream theater and other rock bands with similar sonics and the flats do them justice! The bowls are too thin and analytical for that genre but when it comes to the sweetness of vocals when connected to my amp, nothing beats the bowls. Just happened to stumble upon Luis Miguel, Julio Iglesias, Richard Marx, Clair Marlo, Patricia Barber, etc... and the bowls win over the flats

Bottom Line is... What have you got to lose, sure they are expensive for pads but $35 dollars is still cheaper than upgrading your cans. And they might just be the ticket for the sound you need for that genre. In fact I can almost guarantee you that you'll love them.

Edit: As for the comment from WNMNKH saying he prefers the px100 to the grados... I have a feeling he never liked the grados in the first place with any genre (feel free to correct me here wnmnkh) so flats of course didnt change the situation since after all they are still grados. But if you do like your 225s overall signature except you just want more bass and less of a bright sound just try flats first before sidestepping to senn 595s or doing anything of that sort. I love senn 595s too but only do that when the flats really dont do the job because you'll be introducing a new cans of worms with those and will want to upgrade to the hd600
biggrin.gif

Aug 4, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #15 of 49
aaron313,
If anything grados are actually too creamy and dull using flats
biggrin.gif
but if you read my comment above youll see that they might match the OPs needs. Looking at your rig seeing that you have ad2000s, grados with flats are dull in comparison yet not as dry sounding by nature as the ad2000s in your signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back