Do I have a fake Audioquest OptiLink-1? (UPDATE: Cable is real)
Dec 12, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmf22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sent an email and the photo to AudioQuest last night. I will post their reply here when I receive it.

Did you get any response from AQ?

Thanks for the heads-up, by the way. I was just about to order some cables from this seller.

Dec 12, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by iTetragrammaton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you get any response from AQ?

Thanks for the heads-up, by the way. I was just about to order some cables from this seller.

No, I never got a response from AudioQuest.

Dec 15, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #34 of 41
Thanks for the heads-up, I looked at that site a few times. Never got the courage to pull the trigger, something did'nt feel right. Guess I know why.
Good Luck & Happy Holidays
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #35 of 41
Didn't really want to bump this thread, but I got an email from the eBay seller and felt that I should let them tell their side of the story.

I’m [name removed] ,from [eBay ID removed]
I saw you have a thread about the optilink-1 on the Head-Hi.
I understand you want to clarify the cable.And you said you E-mail to Audioquest.Is there any reply?
On 22 Feb , I sent a E-mail to AQ also.The E-mail is info@audioquest.com
And this is the E-mail which I sent to AQ .
I sent few photos to them. Please check it.The cable which you post to Head-Hi is not so clear and the shape is changed.And we retake some photos for more detail.And Photo F is exactly the one you got in hand.Take your cable to AB compare it.

(to be continue..)

Here is the reply from AQ .

[name removed],I hope this can be help you to solve your doubt .
But I still suggest you take a phone call or E-mail to Alasdair Patrick to reconform it .I say again,Take our cable to AQ for further checking if still doubt !

I hope this can be solve for any misunderstanding.

You post a listing at Head-Fi with a photo which are not clear and the cable shape is changed ,and then just use a AQ web’s photo(vitual) ,not real thing photo to compare.that’s a misleading to others and trifling to know the answer.
I told you before,to take it to the AQ dealer to check.It is the directly and correct way to solve the doubt.Why don’t go??Worry what??

Besides,your listing is affecting us.
You open the question,and now, you need to solve it.
As a gentleman,you have responsibility to clarify to others of the truth .I hope this question will solve it easy and quick.
Otherwise, we need to investigation(legal action) to solve it.
We must to protect our business honor.It's not a game.

Wait for reply

Best Regards
[seller's name removed]

They photos they speak of was not attached in the email. As soon as they send me their photos, I will post it up.

Mar 11, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #36 of 41
I'm no expert, but he does have a point that the AQ-pics look like a rendered image. It's a strange thing to take a different font, but not unusual (e.g. Grado)

Mar 11, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #37 of 41
It is weird that AudioQuest would have a rendered photo of their product on the website. I did not know that the photos on the AudioQuest website is rendered. If I had known, I would not have compared it to the actual product.

It appears that there is now more prove the OptiLink-1 I have is indeed real. If this is the case, I might order more cables from them. They do have great prices.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm no expert, but he does have a point that the AQ-pics look like a rendered image. It's a strange thing to take a different font, but not unusual (e.g. Grado)

Mar 11, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #38 of 41
I'm not saying they are real either, just that the pictures do look artificial.
I think it is unwise to jump to conclusions (and potentially ruining a good merchants name if they really are real)

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #39 of 41
You are absolutely right. If it wasn't for the pictures at the AudioQuest website, I would never have thought that the cable I got was fake.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not saying they are real either, just that the pictures do look artificial.
I think it is unwise to jump to conclusions (and potentially ruining a good merchants name if they really are real)

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #41 of 41
UPDATE March 11, 2009: The OptiLink-1 cable from the seller is real. The seller sent an email to AudioQuest (with photos of the cable), and AudioQuest's replied to the seller. AudioQuest has confirmed that the cable the seller sold was an older version of the OptiLink.

The entire email that the seller sent to AudioQuest and AudioQuest's reply is below:

Sent: Sunday, February 22, 2009 12:39 PM
To: Information
Subject: To : Sales manager. (about prove and confuse of the AQ web )

Dear manager,

Me and my friend got two Optilink-1 cables.
But they are a little bit different.
Please help to clarify whatever both Genuine or not.
(Just depend on the outlook,you can told me first .Even not test the sound)

some photos, pls see it.
one is bought it at 2006 with original box(Photo A,B).And the other one is bought at 2008 with no box.

I saw the AQ official web shows the photos of Optilink-1 is different.
Here the question :

1) The web shows the label print on the plug is " OPTILINK-1".However the two cable's plug is show "OPTILINK 1" ,no " - " (Photo D)

2) the web photo shows the words "OPTILINK", the "N" and the "K" from the Label is different shape with the real thing.(Photo F)

3)Why the two cables Label is different.Is that AQ change it from time to time or different version?
the words "OPTILINK 1" at the old one (with box) is so thin and the other one of the words is bold. (Photo D)

4) the cable's body diameter is different.The old one is thiner than the new one.Change also? (photo E)
5) the tip (brass connector) is slanted inwards at the old one.But the new one is straight.

(or can I ship it to your head office at CA for further check)?
If yes, How do I need to do ?
I'm in CA now.

I have bought several AQ cables in these years .But after I check it from AQ webs,I found out they are a bit different from the photo.

Why like this?? Not yet updated the photos on the AQ web or any reasons?That make me and my Hi-Fi group friends feel confuse and losing confidence . How to Trust ......

Like the New HDMI-3.I'm thinking to order it (the new 1.3 version with new plug).

But I saw the Web picture shows the plug is still a little bit different from the real thing(I saw it from a AQ dealer).

The plug of the real thing is more flat and wide(like th enew model HDMI-G).But the WEB's photo still the old plug and just change the number "3" (which on the surface of the plug) to red colour.

I would be happy If you can solve my problem seriously .

Wait for reply

Best Regards

[seller's name removed]

----------------------------------------

To: [seller's name removed]
Subject: RE: To : Sales manager. (about prove and confuse of the AQ web )
Date: Feb 23, 2009 9:05 AM

Dear Sir,

You simply have an older and a newer version of OptiLink-1.

Best regards,

Alasdair Patrick
AudioQuest
2621 White Road
Irvine CA 92614
Tel: 949 585 0111

-----------------------------------------

Below are the pictures the seller sent to AudioQuest for them to verify.

71775354.jpg

81743222.jpg

77806999.jpg

99338502.jpg

84323013.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back