Do I Even NEED A DAC???
Oct 19, 2007 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Jo6Pak

100+ Head-Fier
I recently picked up a Yamaha DVD-C750 with SACD and DVD-A capability. The specs say it has a 24 bit, 192 khz DAC in it. Does that negate the need for an outboard DAC or what? I just ordered myself a DarkVoice 336i and am trying to line up everything else I might need before it arrives. THANKS!

Oct 19, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #3 of 6
Right, I know I don't NEED one, but was curious if the stock 24/192 DACs in home audio gear these days were really worth anything or would it be better to invest in something like a modded DAC-AH. If the onboard DAC is as good as a modded DAC-AH, I can live with that...

Oct 19, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo6Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right, I know I don't NEED one, but was curious if the stock 24/192 DACs in home audio gear these days were really worth anything or would it be better to invest in something like a modded DAC-AH. If the onboard DAC is as good as a modded DAC-AH, I can live with that...

You have a few options:

1) Order some DAC's and hear the changes at home. There will be noticeable changes, and sometimes huge improvements.

2) Goto a meet and hear other people's gear.

3) Be happy and run away now.

Personally, I think some lower-fi stuff is the most fun you'll ever have in audio. But it's easy to get a taste for amazing-fi, and one of the most noticeable upgrades will be from your CDP to a nice source.

Oct 19, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo6Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't know about the specific model you speak about

But my old toshiba SD2650 DVD player also says 192kHz/24bit DAC (also has the sticker on it)

And it sounds like @$$. Opened it up and it has some obscure DAC from analogue devices, can't remember the chip but i think it was AD1953 followed by a NE5532 opamp iirc

basically... nothing special. but let your ears be the judge

Users who are viewing this thread

Back