Do Headphones sounds different on mounains?
Nov 28, 2009 at 8:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

miloxo

100+ Head-Fier
Just a random thought.

On top of high mountains the air is thinner. Headphones (or speakers) has to move less air, wich means faster/easier movements of the drivers. Does that means a different sound?

Sorry if this a stupid thought
ph34r.gif

Nov 28, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 11
The answer will be yes. But the most important question is: Will it be noticeable? Will your ears be able to notice the difference? I doubt it, but will give it the benefit of the doubt

EDIT: I couldn't care less, though. As if I were to do a comparison, and if it that would change anything in my listening habits.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by miloxo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a random thought.

On top of high mountains the air is thinner. Headphones (or speakers) has to move less air, which means faster/easier movements of the drivers. Does that means a different sound?

ph34r.gif

it will make a difference but no idea how much. perhaps you could climb the highest dutch mountain range and tell us.
beerchug.gif

Nov 28, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #5 of 11
It most certainly would, as the air pressure change quite substantially and hence the transducers do work under different conditions.
Audible or not, I do not know.

Perhaps you can climb a high mountain, e.g Mount El'brus (Europes highest) and let us know...
tongue.gif

Nov 28, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On tops of high mountains, I get the feeling that K701 and DT880 fans will be using their headphones as ear-muffs.

maybe this would make the K701 listenable? same as going dual-ended ya know.

Nov 28, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #7 of 11
No need to climb a mountain.
wink.gif

1__Tdot_08_Unterdruck1.JPG

Nov 28, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by miloxo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a random thought.

On top of high mountains the air is thinner. Headphones (or speakers) has to move less air, wich means faster/easier movements of the drivers. Does that means a different sound?

ph34r.gif

Yes the drivers would have to do less work.

It's possible it would sound different.
In air a 20hz wave has a wavelength of 17.15 meters...a 20,000hz wave has a wavelength of 0.0172m. For you to hear a certain frequency the wavelength must be a certain length.

Nov 29, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably - but the speed of sound doesn't change at the top of a mountain so the pitch shouldn't.

Yes it does, which is why its given as 340.29 m / s at sea level.

The Hz of the wave should not change, however the wavelength will depending on the speed of sound.

Nov 29, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably - but the speed of sound doesn't change at the top of a mountain so the pitch shouldn't.

Actually, the speed of sound is quite dependent on atmospheric conditions including pressure and density.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back