do headphones sound diffrent on other planets
Oct 23, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #17 of 39
Physiological effects would also change the sound. Our bodies would react differently based on gravity and we're a big part of how something sounds.

Oct 23, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #18 of 39
guys..do heahphones sound different when you're upright, upside down, or sleeping on your side? no? i didn't think so
soooo if we were on another planet, gravity won't change the sound IMO
if nasa weren't nearly defunct, i would suggest they bring a bose and a standard phone into space and show how effective the noise cancelling system is at countering off planet jitter and gravity

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #19 of 39

Quote:
Definitely.
Mercury - Bright sound, hot highs
Venus - Veiled
Mars - Some claim fluid low end but it's buried deep under the overriding dry sound
Jupiter - Huge sound stage
Saturn - Stage not as big as Jupiter's, but still runs rings around the smaller planets
Uranus - Let's not go there.
Neptune - Cold clear sound, needs a very warm source/amp to make it more liquid
Pluto - not a planet, just a cartoon dog.
A guy, Gustav someone, did a test where he recorded the same track on each planet to show how different they sound.

Hahaha!

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #22 of 39

Quote:
I figured they having less gravity would allow them to vibrate more or something.
I also thought thin air mighty make phones more veiled or something but I wouldn't know

gravity doesn't play a part, unless its so heavy that it causes the really light mylar to sag... impossible really or else you wouldn't be able to walk anymore i would think

Oct 25, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #23 of 39
I don't buy it, that a headphone will sound different on other planets - its all placebo.  We need some DBTs.

Oct 25, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #24 of 39
There were some blind tests conducted near the surface of the sun. The results were inconclusive.

I think Skylab might have something to say about that subject 
biggrin.gif

Nov 13, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #26 of 39
Not sure if this counts as necro-ing but...meh still wanted to throw it in.
Not sure if you guys are all trolling or something but still...

Sound waves travel through gas/liquids/solids.
Now we have that sorted, we know sound waves travel differently through them, right? They all have different densities.
Ever heard someone who's inhaled helium? Their voice is way higher than normal. That's because helium is less dense than the air normally around us is.
What about someone who's inhaled sulphur hexaflouride? Their voice is way lower than it normally is. Yadiyadiya since sulphur hexaflouride is denser than the air normally around us it.

That means the density of the substance sound waves are travelling through affects the way the sound waves travel and therefore how it sounds.
So the way different headphones will sound will depend entirely on the density of the air (if you're talking about listening without a space suit or anything) on that planet (if there's anything for the sound waves to travel through anyway!)

Nov 14, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #27 of 39
No, it's not necroing.

Realistically, they won't sound different because the atmopheric conditions will be fined tuned to be like Earth's. There's not much point in thinking about if you could live on a planet without equipment, because you can't, if you could wouldn't that mean you'd be like living on Earth?

Nov 14, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #28 of 39
Ah you see i didn't know the what environment the OP presented to us would be in. If the environment in your (space station?) was made to be like Earth's then no there shouldn't be any difference :)

Nov 14, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #30 of 39
I actually meant all planet types. :) And I too think atmosphere would play a big role, How would you guys like to listen to katy perry in a helium like atmosphere? I know I wouldn't. Heck I can't even stand here music here lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back