Do hd650 distort like k701 do?
Dec 11, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #46 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajani /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is part of what I find so puzzling, I've heard the K701s described as Bright and/or having weak bass. I've heard that they are a terrible match for the Benchmark DAC1... That the sound would be overly-analytical etc, etc, etc....

Yet I own The 701, driven by a DAC1 and the Bass is as deep and clean as I could ever want (rivals/beats just about any floorstanding speaker I've heard up to $6K - for clean, not bloated, bass)... the sound is very neutral... definitely not bright or analytical... Also, when I look at the frequency response measurements on this site... I see nothing that would indicate weak bass or pronounced treble... interestingly, the measurements look fairly similar to the Senn 650....

I guess we just have to try things out for ourselves...

If there is an amplifier out there that makes the HD650 sound more bright than the K701, I would surely like to know what it is.

Dec 11, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #47 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If there is an amplifier out there that makes the HD650 sound more bright than the K701, I would surely like to know what it is.

Without any EQ?

Dec 11, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #48 of 66
Very interesting thread. Ive had my K701s for over a year now and can't remember them ever distorting, they are a very clean sounding can. I do remember hating the sound till I burned them in for +200 hrs. I turned them on and left them on 24/7 for 2 weeks, and checked in on them periodically didnt listen to them very long. but i do remember hating the bass at around 50hrs and it seemed like they mellowed out around 100hr and sounded pretty good around 200. then i added an amp and they are divine now.
k701smile.gif

Dec 11, 2008 at 9:19 AM Post #51 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by EugeneK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've not had my K701s distort ever, using a little dot mk3.

I might get a solid state amp to test the waters soon.

If you want to test the waters and not spend too much, try the Shanling PH-100 SS amp. It is a great match for the K701s. A few threads here on that amp, which I recently sold to a happy new owner.

I have owned a few SS amps, but I prefer the ability to match the amp to the nuances of the headphones which can be accomplished by tube rolling in a tube amp.

Feb 7, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #53 of 66
yup agreed, i never owned k701 but just gotten k702 and i never heard any distortion even if i crank the volume up to 90%.
after reading through the threads, i get an impression that some hd650 fans are trying to make the OP thinks k701 are bad.
i guess the more logical explanation to the distortion OP is facing is a bad k701 he had unfortunately got.
OP maybe try HD650 if you think that suits you more.

Feb 7, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #56 of 66
Sorry but this level of phones does not distort at any safe listening level unless they are damaged. I´d look the source of the problem in the rest of the audio chain, and of course be very careful with the equalization

Feb 8, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #58 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Question /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Without touching any eq/tone control (in between)?

That would be a Raptor with a Telefunken in the gain position. Does exactly what you describe.

Feb 8, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #59 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read here abouts that Tube amps in general don't pair well with low impedence cans. I ordered a Head-Direct EF-1 Hybrid so I'm hoping for the best. Also the 701's/702's are said to really benefit from tube rolling as well.

Your amp is a hybrid, it has a SS output section and will mate with your 701,s nicely. Try Telefunken and Mullard for tube rolling. The Mullard is sweeter and a tad more rolled off and the telefunken is spacious and airy up top, both have great bass with lots of impact.

Feb 8, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #60 of 66
Quote:

they distort as soon as I turn the volume up (on an RSA Raptor) to a normal listening level.

It's your amp that's the problem. It is not suitable for low impedance, low sensitivity phones. There are few pure tube amps that will power the k701s properly.

EDIT Just want to add that, imo the Raptor is an awesome looking amp. Also, it will be much better matched with the high impedance 650s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back