Do Grados really have (relatively) non-existant soundstage??
Nov 16, 2005 at 4:51 AM Post #32 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kwisatz
http://foobar2000.com/

Think Winamp, but not. There are a number of plugins that interface into the player and allow modification to the visual or audio end of things.

so this is some sort of music player program for my computer?
i just use ITUNES now (to play the cds that ive ripped onto my computer)-i always thought it didnt really matter what conduit program you used to play youre music...
What kind of modifications are these exactly?
I spend so much time researching headphones that i never once considered anything regarding the source!

Nov 16, 2005 at 4:58 AM Post #33 of 63
put itunes' sound enhancer to max...WOW! What soundstage!
basshead.gif

Nov 16, 2005 at 5:11 AM Post #35 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin
put itunes' sound enhancer to max...WOW! What soundstage!
basshead.gif

man do I feel like an idiot after putting up this thread...
everyones coming up woth something new for me, that I had never heard of!
blink.gif

Ok.
Found the sound enhancer and turned it all the way up-what exactly is the sound enhancer and what does it do to the music?

Nov 16, 2005 at 5:19 AM Post #36 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
man do I feel like an idiot after putting up this thread...
everyones coming up woth something new for me, that I had never heard of!
blink.gif

Ok.
Found the sound enhancer and turned it all the way up-what exactly is the sound enhancer and what does it do to the music?

wait.....you actually turned it all the way up....and didn't feel or heard anything?
blink.gif

*cough* fake soundstage *cough*

Nov 16, 2005 at 5:28 AM Post #37 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by discord
I should start the I admit it! I listen to classical through my RS1's thread.

I find that the RS1's are especially good with string and woodwind concertos.

Nov 16, 2005 at 5:50 AM Post #38 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin
wait.....you actually turned it all the way up....and didn't feel or heard anything?
blink.gif

*cough* fake soundstage *cough*

i dont know-maybe its too late at night, but I have both no idea what your talking about and what your getting at.
sarcasm?
I dont know enough about soundstage to catch on...

Nov 16, 2005 at 7:59 AM Post #39 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin
What sound stage? : Ety ER-4S

Whoah dude!
I am getting a remarkable, sharply defined 3D sound/headstage with my Etys, much much better than with either my HD650s or my SR80s, which sound very "headphoneish" in comparison..
confused.gif

Nov 16, 2005 at 6:45 PM Post #40 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT
In real life speakers do not rest on your ears. In real life there is an airgap between the speaker and ears. This is why the Grado soundstage (if any) or lack of it is not realistic.

Duh. This would hold true for pretty much any headphone. What's your point?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael G.
Truistic. That's why only the K-1000's (and others of this ilk) are real. All on-the-head conventional cans are playing preschool level soundstage games. At least the K-1000 plays in grade school. The main focus of most headphone listening should never be soundstage, IMO. Some listeners here who realize this would say that the "soundstage" certain types of HEAD-phones (the ones that try too hard to soundstage like speakers) produce can be even more unreal, unnatural sounding than the "headstage" that Grados typically produce.

Yeah, like the K1000 you just mentioned.

Nov 16, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #41 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
so this is some sort of music player program for my computer?
i just use ITUNES now (to play the cds that ive ripped onto my computer)-i always thought it didnt really matter what conduit program you used to play youre music...
What kind of modifications are these exactly?
I spend so much time researching headphones that i never once considered anything regarding the source!

If you are thinking of upgrading you source but still want to use itunes, the airport express is a good place to start. It gives you bit-perfect music and has a digital out for an external dac. It also allows you to use any computer with it (on the same network). Also be sure to use apple lossless for your encoding if you want the highest quality files.

The external dac is just a source upgrade that takes the digital signal and converts it to analog. Some do this better than others so you can read about them in the source section here at head-fi. I good place to find a used on is on Audiogon.

If you don't have an amp, that's something to think about especially using higher end headphones. I believe the HF-1 is supposed to sound best with an amp.

Anyway, these are just suggestions, not recommendations, although an amp is necessary for high impedence headphone. You will get more dramatic differences switching headphones. Once you find the headphone you like, then any of these upgrades with just improve upon the sound.

Nov 16, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #42 of 63
the sound enhancer option on iTunes really fools with the original tune, much like an equalizer would. hey, if it sounds better to you go for it. But i like to keep as much processing out of the way as possible and get a clean signal to my ears.

Nov 16, 2005 at 7:54 PM Post #44 of 63
I've tried several dsp processing ( foobar and itunes included ) - ended keeping only the pphs resampler in foobar , which works fairly well for a soft. resampler .
keep in mind ..
If you think how the most part of pop / rock music is recorded , you know there's quite no soundstage supposed by recording ( mics standing front of amps / cllllloose to instruments
so ..
many times soundstage is a fake artificial thing

khp089.jpg

flame on now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back