Do Grado SR80s need head ph amp?
Jan 9, 2009 at 5:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

gnostic19

Head-Fier
I have spent the last 2 days, hours and hours, researching a portable or desk top am for use with my Grados. I have just recently come across some posts where people say that some think Grados run so efficiently that they don't need an amp. Is this true?Am i wasting money?

Jan 9, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by gnostic19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have spent the last 2 days, hours and hours, researching a portable or desk top am for use with my Grados. I have just recently come across some posts where people say that some think Grados run so efficiently that they don't need an amp. Is this true?Am i wasting money?

The answer to this question is very up in the air. I owned a pair of Grado SR80's for quite some time (6+ months) before I purchased my first amp. They certainly do no "require" one. You can drive them plenty with just a regular old headphone jack.

However, I did get curious and purchased a D2 Boa which is an Amp and a DAC. I found that it did have a positive effect on the sound. This may be due more in part to the DAC than the amp, but there was certainly improvement.

I think you will be very happy with the SR80's and there is no need for an amp at this point. Wait until you get bored with them, then pick up the amp.

Jan 9, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #4 of 16
They like an amp a lot, but it's not really necessary. Even a small SS amp is good for a nice improvement in dynamics and punch.

Jan 10, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

i guess i should add that i don't use ipods or portables, really. I don't really even use the phones with portables but with CD player and integrated amp.

I doubt that you'd see an improvement given the equipment you use them with.

Enjoy,

Mooch

Jan 10, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #7 of 16
I think using an amp works better with higher Grado models such as sr225, sr325i, rs2, rs1, gs1000

Jan 10, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Personally, I do think you'd be wasting money, and would strongly advise you to buy and use the phones first before throwing away $100 or more on what might prove to be an inconsequential difference.

Jan 10, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #9 of 16
the thing is...i have different areas around the house where i would like to listen to phones. I have my main room, where i have an Apple TV, CD player all going into a QSilver pre amp. I don't have head ph outs in any piece of gear.

I also have an Airport Express in another room that has a 1/8" line out and optical out that i could conceivable carry around the house. Right no it is in the second room hooked up to NAD integrated amp that does have a head ph out, which i think kinda sucks. I plan on using the AExpress in different rooms, like in the bedroom where i could conceivably run the out in to a portable head ph amp and listen in bed.

So, in theory, i think i NEED an amp...a portable one. The only question is, should i spend $400 on the Mustang, which i could do, or just fork over $100 for a lesser model.

Also, is a signal degraded much when feeding a head ph amp that has 1/8" jack instead of dual RCA jacks?

Jan 12, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moocher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try the following. Inexpensive, small, lightweight, and nice sounding for little money. Gary is very well respected here and many bought their first amps from him.

Welcome to Electric-Avenues.com - More About The Portable Headphones Amplifier (PA2V2)

Moocher

I saw that unit. Looks decent...how would it compare to the ALO modded Mini3? I would love to get the Mustang or even Tomahawk...would either of those two pieces be appreciably better than the ALO or Pocket Amp?

I'm the kinda dude who wants to getteh best of whatever it is i'm looking for, even if it's overkill. Maybe that's the case here. Maybe i should spend $300 on some cans and get a $100 amp instead of $100 cans with a $400 amp.

Jan 12, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #12 of 16
If I were in your position, I would probably try to pick up a nice used amp. Some to consider would be a Headamp AE2 (love mine), RSA Hornet (haven't owned, but have read nothing but praise about them) or an iBasso (used to own, pretty good for the price). I don't think I would spend $400 for an amp to use on SR80's.

Jan 12, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #14 of 16
That's a tough question, because there's a lot of options in both categories. At least with the portables you don't have to worry about AC line noise from the kinds of power supplies that make $200 desktop amps um... $200.

Jan 12, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #15 of 16
In my experience, using Gary's amp as a go between my headphones and onboard sound gave the headphones a lot more power in the bass. I have no made any detailed observations of the other sections of the spectrum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back