Do customs offer ultimate comfort, isolation or both?
Apr 15, 2017 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Navier

New Head-Fier
I am considering the purchase of my first pair of CIEM

For me it's more important the comfort than the isolation and I am not sure if customs will provide the ultimate comfort or are they targeting superb isolation and happen to be somewhat "very" comfortable as a side effect?

Being a "big" purchase with very low, if any, resale value, I am afraid to end with uncomfortable IEMs after few hours...

What are your opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 15, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #3 of 12
I am considering the purchase of my first pair of CIEM

For me it's more important the comfort than the isolation and I am not sure if customs will provide the ultimate comfort or are they targeting superb isolation and happen to be somewhat "very" comfortable as a side effect?

Being a "big" purchase with very low, if any, resale value, I am afraid to end with uncomfortable IEMs after few hours...

What are your opinions?

they are 'supposed to' do both - give you good isolation and comfort. remember, they were originally designed to be used on stage to let the artist hear him/herself in such deafening crowds . and they should be comfortable as the artist is performing and the CIEM should not be in their way. As for 'your' comfort - it's really up to you if you'll ever get used to it - some people do, some don't. why not get a 'cheap' CIEM 1st - they you see if the CIEM route suits you...

Apr 15, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #5 of 12
Yes, and yes.

But take note:
1. Good ear impressions are extremely important!!
2. Give time for your ears getting used to foreign object inserted fo extended period.
3. Be picky about fitting. Let the manufacturer know if your ears never get used to them and send them back for refit.

Buying CIEM is a journey. But totally worth it!!

Apr 16, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #6 of 12
Yes and yes, especially if you have odd sized ears.

Before going custom, I have used different sized tips because of a previous jaw injury. But I have never managed a good seal. With customs, the seal and comfort is much better. Less annoying imbalances.

However, do note the points raised by other posts above. A good set of impressions is paramount.

Apr 16, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #7 of 12
Universals can be as good and better than customs. Seven years ago was another matter.

Apr 16, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #9 of 12
One thing to you may end up needing as much as good impressions is patience - to find your "ultimate comfort" if you are not fortunate enough to get a great fit on the first try, depending on the manufacturer it can sometimes take a month or two for each adjustment or refit.

If you were eying high priced models, I think Karloils suggestion to try a low-price model is a good one even if it ends up a sunk cost, as CIEM aren't for everybody (as I found out) but it may not be obvious to you until you try them.

Maybe even just getting some custom tips (i.e. Snugs) for a universal IEM you have would give you enough of an idea.

Apr 17, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #10 of 12
Thank you all for your responses.

I just found something interesting... If someone is also interested, Cosmic Ears (Sweden UK) offers a Shell (without any electronics) to test the fit of Customs: http://www.cosmicears.com/product/p0101/

Apr 17, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #11 of 12
Oo boy.

Apr 19, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #12 of 12
You typically get more low end, so if you're worried about a monitor not having enough bottom end, an excellent custom seal will add a bit of weight down there.  Also yes, more comfortable and no fussing with tips.  Biggest downside is you can't share it with others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back