Do custom IEMs more comfortable to wear when moving around, than IEMs with insertable tips?
Nov 21, 2022 at 3:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

MeetYourMaker

New Head-Fier
I mainly use earphones when walking around the house doing chores or working in the garden so there are movements all the time. I own an Apple earpod which fit really poorly I have to readjust all the time, but it doesnt have tips that could be why.

I will get a new pair of IEMs soon probably Sony M9 (which is my 1st wired earphones), with silicone or foam tips. I thought to myself maybe just skip that and go for a custom made one that molded to my ear shaped. I wonder if custom IEMs always more comfortable for non stationary uses than IEMs with insertable tips. If you have owned both do you prefer the custom one over the universally fit one with insertable tips?

Thank you so much.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 5:53 AM Post #2 of 2
Here's my tuppence worth. I'm one of those who has to have a large left ear tip and a medium right ear tip and depending on the material of universal tips, one or other will not sit comfortably whilst staying stationary. Then when I move, one will inevitably fall out. So much so, that I couldn't work with bluetooth in-ear universals as they would drop to the floor on my journeys to work. Or one would fall out when I turned position in bed/sofa with my head on one side and gravity would let it drop. The serious consequence to the frustration of 'dropping' universals would be that I would push them in firmer. Thinking I had the perfect fit as I was walking along, I would then find that when it came to removing them, the rubber ear tip would disconnect from the ear phone and I would have the embarrassing job of trying to retreive the tip. Got my custom in-ears about 5 years ago; (HW Audio & JH Audio Roxannes) Apart from the immediate impact of the sound being greatly immersive; I've not had my in-ears fall out when moving about. Admittedly I have reseated them after a prolonged spell of wearing them. Or I may occasionally get a throbbing 'feedback' from the shells if my blood pressure is up. But I would NEVER, ever go back to universals for in-ears ever again. The only problem with Customs is that you have to test the universal version to get your chosen sound signature before going on to have your custom IEMs made (Happy to hear from people who have other options when it comes to making their choice).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back