do computers make good sources?
Feb 24, 2004 at 4:40 PM Post #152 of 160
Quote:

Originally posted by cosmopragma
A case costing 1300 bucks?
Poor guys like me just drill a hole into the wall, computer at the one side, peripherals and audio rack at the other, noise problem solved.No costs.

Drill a hole into the wall of your house large enough to fit a computer in? Are you insane?

Feb 24, 2004 at 5:16 PM Post #153 of 160
Quote:

Poor guys like me just drill a hole into the wall, computer at the one side, peripherals and audio rack at the other, noise problem solved.No costs.

If I drilled a hole in the wall, it would be my neighbors computer not mine anymore. HAHA!

Feb 24, 2004 at 11:48 PM Post #155 of 160
Quote:

I think he meant for running wires between the walls

Edwood got it.
I´m not kidding.I´ve done that.My music server is mounted in the corridor, anything else is stacked in my living/auditioning room.Dependent on the ground plan of a flat that should be considered as an option, cheap and efficient.
Not that I´m saving any money any more since I stumbled into this forum.I´m purchasing cans, amps, soundcards, cables,additional harddiscs for lossless and appropriate audiophile music like bread.
1300 bucks ( plus selling one of my mid-fi amps) just means used K1000s in good condition and a decent used power amp to drive them, contemporanously improving my speaker audio.
In the beginning I had those senn HD 497 , unamped of course, and wondered if there is something significantly better for listening in the night.
Long ago, I barely can remember those days.Three months ago.
My wallet? Lotsoffunsomehopesnoregrets.

Feb 27, 2004 at 8:59 PM Post #156 of 160
Sorry for living up this thread, but I'm really curious of what are the best soundcards (in your opinion) in different priceranges (<300, <500, <1000, <2000, >2000 if any). One card may be best in several ranges off course.

And DAC's may be? Are there any better than Bel Canto 2 in the pricerange <1500 ? Thanks.

Now I'm using EgoSys Waveterminal 2496 (250$). Have you heard about it?

Feb 28, 2004 at 2:07 AM Post #157 of 160
Quote:

I´m not kidding.I´ve done that.My music server is mounted in the corridor, anything else is stacked in my living/auditioning room.Dependent on the ground plan of a flat that should be considered as an option, cheap and efficient.

Hmmm, the only place I could do this is to pass a wire through the bathroom door. Well, it would be way too dangerous to put my computer tower on the bathroom floor.... guess we'll have to do it the other way around. Not the most comfortable seat in the place, but the multitasking capability could be useful.
600smile.gif

Mar 1, 2004 at 5:31 AM Post #159 of 160
Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
The fact is, it takes more knowledge to set up a good sounding PC-based system than it does to just hook a CD player to an amp and plug in a pair of headphones. Those who satisfy their craving for better sound by throwing money at the problem need not apply, you need to throw brains at the problem in this case and learn about things like FLAC, DAE, EAC, Foobar2k, kernel streaming, secure ripping, master clock settings, DMA buffers and all sorts of other wacky acronyms and computer programs. If you don't want to bother, just get a CD player.

whoa! life is to short.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back