do computers make good sources?
Feb 23, 2004 at 6:24 AM Post #136 of 160
And what if I want to listen to foobar 2000 with speakers? (this happens daily probably)

Feb 23, 2004 at 6:27 AM Post #137 of 160
Just switch your output device with foobar.

Feb 23, 2004 at 6:29 AM Post #138 of 160
heh, i guess that's easiest.
smily_headphones1.gif

the sacrifices we must make for good music
smily_headphones1.gif

oh, and I think alt-preset-extreme encoded mp3s are basically as good as CD's. I will run more tests with an RME + HD650's
600smile.gif

Feb 23, 2004 at 6:30 AM Post #139 of 160
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
Just switch your output device with foobar.

actually this could be a bit of a pain as the audigy 2 only works at 24bit fixed-point playback, but there's probably a way to automate this in foobar, perhaps even map all the changes to one hot key.

Feb 23, 2004 at 6:37 AM Post #140 of 160
As you said sacrifices
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2004 at 8:12 AM Post #141 of 160
Quote:

Originally posted by kelesh
Uh, so what happens if i'm listening to music with foobar 2000 and I fire up a game on my audigy 2(say just a simple java game with audio). Does it kill the music? Crash the computer?

I just hope the RME Digi96/8 Pad can play divx movies smoothly, and can play Stepmania (ddr emulator) without stuttering. Any thoughts?

I've been having some strange problems with a digital connection from my audigy2 to my RME when it comes to games and music. Playing an mp3 with foobar/winamp and playing a game on the audigy2, as you know, is no problem. But for some reason, when Im playing an mp3 through the audigy2, sending the signal to the RME, and then try launching a game, my pc crashes. I havent completely explored the problem, it may be able to be fixed by selecting a different output for the mp3 player; I'll get back to you on that when I have some time when I dont care if my pc crashes.

As for movies, I've had mixed results. For one, you'll want a collection of codecs (I recommend K-Lite) and BSPlayer or a similar player that can switch audio outputs to one the RME can handle (since it doesnt support directsound). I've gotten it to work through the RME, but sometimes things go to hell and the soundcard starts putting out static at its highest volume, and I have to stop the movie, then move the soundbar to stop it (after throwing my headphones halfway across the room, of course). Im not certain what causes that, and why it only happens occassionaly. More testing required there as well.

Ian, what mixer do you use (and which would recommend, prices and links would be highly appreciated!)? How much does a mixer degrade the sound quality?

Feb 23, 2004 at 8:32 AM Post #142 of 160
Oh yeah, and as far as switching the outputs in foobar, you can always install two foobars with the setups, or winamp and foobar. The downside is that it's a pain to properly load the mp3's in the backup player since windows isnt well designed when it comes to opening a single filetype with more than 1 program. Probably easier to do the switcharoo in foobar, even though it takes a few seconds to do.

Feb 23, 2004 at 8:35 AM Post #143 of 160
eh i use playlists, and not play-on-doubleclick, so its not much of an issue. I'll probably end up installing to foobar 2000's and keeping one minimized or something.

Feb 23, 2004 at 8:43 AM Post #144 of 160
Quote:

Originally posted by Distroyed
windows isnt well designed when it comes to opening a single filetype with more than 1 program.

Hows that then? I dont think right-clicking and going open with >> whatever program in a menu is particularly complicated
wink.gif

Feb 23, 2004 at 9:14 AM Post #145 of 160
Quote:

Originally posted by pbirkett
Hows that then? I dont think right-clicking and going open with >> whatever program in a menu is particularly complicated
wink.gif

a small matter called multi-tasking or time splicing and file locking that said Windows has made great strides in this area in recent releases, so it less of an issue these days.

Feb 23, 2004 at 9:26 AM Post #146 of 160
Quote:

Originally posted by pbirkett
wink.gif

lol, what can I say, Im a lazy person, I find even that to be a nuisance.

Feb 23, 2004 at 3:16 PM Post #147 of 160
Wow. Big thread.

In my experience, they make good sources, but a $4000 CD player is going to kill a $300 soundcard. I suppose if you rigged a really great DAC to an incredible PC soundcard you'd get some serious competition.

So, the answer is yes.

Main counter-arguments are noise, which isn't an issue at all at the $300 price range with PC soundcards; a SnR of 130dB is pretty good. Another is bad components. Not true with cards like the RME. Finally, noise of the computer itself. Not an issue. You can build a computer with absolutely no moving parts (aside from the hard drive) using zalman's quiet computer case: $1,300 case which has NO cooling fans and is instead a giant heatsink.

Cheers,
Geek

Feb 23, 2004 at 3:46 PM Post #148 of 160
Quote:

Originally posted by Distroyed
But for some reason, when Im playing an mp3 through the audigy2, sending the signal to the RME, and then try launching a game, my pc crashes.

Ian, what mixer do you use (and which would recommend, prices and links would be highly appreciated!)? How much does a mixer degrade the sound quality?

Are you using some special processing in the game? Try regular stereo.

I don't use a mixer since I use digital outputs. I have 2 outside jitter reduction devices which I use to select inputs.

Feb 23, 2004 at 3:54 PM Post #149 of 160
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
MP3s, splitters, switches, more (relatively) cheap cables and connections. Do you expect quality still? You're asking too much. Use the RME for headphones exclusively. Your speakers aren't that great so leave the Audigy2 hooked up to it.

Certainly too much in the signal path will cause trouble, but I think people here are too quick to dismiss mixers.

This is just my baseless opinion -- I haven't compared it for myself.
smily_headphones1.gif

Soon I will post comparisons with and without my Mackie in the signal path.

Feb 23, 2004 at 5:36 PM Post #150 of 160
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
Are you using some special processing in the game? Try regular stereo.

I don't use a mixer since I use digital outputs. I have 2 outside jitter reduction devices which I use to select inputs.

Looks like it only happens with Unreal2 XMP... UT2k4 runs fine. Strange

Geek - I wasnt aware Zalman actually sold a quiet case... got some links?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back