Do cables make a noticble difference?
Oct 21, 2002 at 12:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

PAGEFAULT

Head-Fier
I decided to get an MG-Head amp to go with my hd580s. I have a cheap DVD-A player and a computer. Both are conected using cables from radio shack or came with it. I was thinking of getting some "straight wire interconect", about 25$ and headphone.com. I know 25$ isnt much, but will i notice and sound improvment mainly on the dvd-a player. Thanks

Oct 21, 2002 at 1:13 AM Post #6 of 18
StraightWire's -- even cheap ones -- should be an improvement over the cheap throw-in ones that come with most components. I dunno about Radio Shack, though, a lot of people consider them pretty highly. But these are usually cable skeptics.

Kimber recently came out with a cheapy -- Tonik? I believe...those are the only ones I can think of, off-hand.

Oct 21, 2002 at 1:50 AM Post #8 of 18
My favorite "cheap" cable is the Acoustic Research Pro Series. They've come out with some higher priced series recently that I haven't heard. I needed a 2 meter run of interconnect this evening, and couldn't use the Outlaws due to the size of the jack, so I only had the AR and Rat Shacks that would work. I tried both, and the AR still beats the pants off the Rat Shack (connected NS500v to Fisher 400 for use with AKG K-1000). The AR cable should be around $20.

Oct 21, 2002 at 2:19 AM Post #11 of 18
The amount of difference that can be wrought by a cable swap depends on a million factors... Some people think $50 is too much to spend on the amount of difference cables can make; for other people that number can be $500 or even $5000.

If you are not already happy with the sound of your system, no cable is going to make you ecstatic about it. Cable-swapping is for folks that already like the sound of their system and want to add that extra layer of 10-15% satisfaction. Your cables should not cost more than your amp or your source-- that's a bad way to spend your money.

In my experience, you have to spend more than $80 to experience a worth-while difference. That $80 may already be way above your limit; that's for you to decide. "Cheap" cables substituting cheap "stock" cables are a waste of money, IMO. Are you willing to spend the amount of cash required to get a worth-while difference in cables??? That's the question you need to ask yourself.

Mark

Oct 21, 2002 at 3:01 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by markl

If you are not already happy with the sound of your system, no cable is going to make you ecstatic about it. Cable-swapping is for folks that already like the sound of their system and want to add that extra layer of 10-15% satisfaction. Your cables should not cost more than your amp or your source-- that's a bad way to spend your money.

In my experience, you have to spend more than $80 to experience a worth-while difference. That $80 may already be way above your limit; that's for you to decide. "Cheap" cables substituting cheap "stock" cables are a waste of money, IMO.

I disagree. In some cases changing cables may be the icing on the cake. In some cases it can fundamentally change the sound of a system. I really disliked the sound of the Grado HPA-1 when I first got it. I finally discovered that it was basically incompatible with the cable I was using, an otherwise excellent cable that's one of my favorites: Homegrown Audio Silver Lace. Switch to another cable, even one at a tenth the price, and the HPA-1 opens up.

I once tried a bunch of inexpensive cables, just to see if I could hear differences. Some differences were indeed profound. Some weren't. The AR cables that Best Buy carries at around $12(Premium series) are pretty good.

Moving up from the AR cables, the Outlaw Audio PCA is an excellent value at under $50. IMO the only way you can beat it at the price is to solder your own cable together. These inexpensive cables can make a very profound difference in the sound of your system. A DVD-A player, MG-Head and HD-580 setup is definitely good enough to hear the differences between them.

To answer your original question, I haven't heard the Straightwire at Headroom, but they've got a good reputation and are likely to be good value at the price.

Oct 21, 2002 at 3:07 AM Post #14 of 18
But Hirsch--
If someone was unhappy with their current set-up, surely you'd recommed changing their amp or their source before changing their ICs? Wouldn't you? Surely swapping a source or an amp will almost certainly have more effect than swapping IC's???

Mark

Oct 21, 2002 at 3:19 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
But Hirsch--
If someone was unhappy with their current set-up, surely you'd recommed changing their amp or their source before changing their ICs? Wouldn't you? Surely swapping a source or an amp will almost certainly have more effect than swapping IC's???

Mark

Sure...but the MG-Head/HD-580 is a pretty good combination by all reports. I'd certainly think that improved interconnects would help (and I'm biting my tongue about suggesting NOS tubes). The source may not be great, but even at the low end, redbook playback has been improving, and won't be awful. Interconnects are the weakest link here. Definitely where I'd start looking to improve the setup (then I'd start rolling tubes
tongue.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back