Do Bose Companion 2 speakers need an amp?
Dec 22, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by perdomot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got these speakers and was wondering if an amp would make a difference and which amp to get. Would a cmoy be good? Thanks.

uh what?

You want to use a headphone amp to power speakers that already have a built in amp?
confused.gif

Dec 22, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by baneat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you still able to return those? they're not very good value at all and you can get much better speakers for the same price.

That's what I'd do.

Take a look in the Cables, Speakers, etc. Forum - there are several discussions of computer speaker setups in there. For the same money, you could get audiophile grade speakers. Bose isn't, no matter what the salesman says.

Dec 22, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #5 of 13
Please return those and look into, say, some audioengine a2.

They cost twice as much, and sound 4 times better. That kind of ratio will never occur again in your audio lifetime.

Dec 22, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Just got these speakers and was wondering if an amp would make a difference and which amp to get. Would a cmoy be good? Thanks.

A headphone amp won't do you any good in this case. The speakers are already self-powered (or self-amplified).

That said, I don't care much for the Bose self-powered computer speakers. The 2.0 Companion 2 speakers, in particular, have no manual power switch at all but instead rely on an "automatic" power on/off feature. Good idea, except that even the slightest amount of radio interference can trigger the power on command which can send whatever interference through the speakers at full volume (or whatever volume you left the speakers set at). And no small 2.0 speaker set can reproduce bass loudly, deeply and accurately all at once; in fact, most (including the Companion 2) sacrifice two of the three just to emphasize one of them. The 2.1 Bose computer speakers simply lack lower midrange response due to their design (or rather, poor matching between the bass module and the satellites): Their bass modules cut off everything above the mid-bass, while their satellites roll off below the upper midrange, leaving a hole in the audible response that's over one full octave in size.

Dec 23, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #7 of 13
Didn't know these had a built in amp already so thanks for the info. What other speakers are in the same price range that are considered better? I listen mostly to rock with some softer ballads on occasion so I don't need a ton of bass. Thanks.

Dec 23, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

BTW, these are the speakers I replaced with the Bose. The reason was that the volume control was messed up at the lower volume levels.

Apple Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 2.0 Computer Speaker - Yahoo! Shopping

Are you happy with your replacement? if so, then that's all that really matters
smily_headphones1.gif
. You are unlikely ever to be happy with Bose, they pawn off crap to less informed customers and say they're good.

Dec 24, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #11 of 13
Just buy a Logitech Z2300 for the same price and the sound you gonna get will be millions of miles better.

Heck you getting a sub woofer to so you can shake your roof if you have any need to.

Dec 31, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #13 of 13
As much as you guys love to hate on Bose I don't think are as bad as you imply. I was actually somewhat impressed with the Companion 3 and would probably buy them if they are cheaper.

When it comes to inexpensive, compact multimedia speakers for a computer their aren't many options.
All the newer logitech sets have horribly bloated bass, Klipsch has killed most of their line and lets face it... not everyone has room for monitors on their desk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back