Do Balanced Armature IEM's have sibilance?
Jan 22, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #17 of 34
Quote:
Yes, comply foam tips can ease sibilance, worth a try they tame the high end a little and smooth it over. Also take serious note of what BillsonChang007 said above, it could possibly be your source/amp causing the problem with lower impedance headphone / IEM. Does the same sibilance occur when you're using your phone or regular MP3 player?

Well I've tried it on my MP3, laptop, my brothers laptop, my friends laptop, my pc and the usb soundcard i have and it was present on all of them.

Quote:
Confused. Pretty sure I understood that you said 300+ headphones, not IEM, but whatevs.

And +1 to foam tips for smoothing treble.

Well BillsonChang007 also said higher-end IEM's so i just wanted to be sure that no one misunderstands.

Anyway, i'm tempted to get some comply tips for my FA Eterna, is it worth it, or should i just buy some better IEM's and get foam tips for them?

Jan 22, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #19 of 34
Here's an article to add to what BilsonChang 007 said about impedance factor, includes a list of sources/amp with their impedance rating, might help you~ :

http://en.goldenears.net/KB_Columns/1389

Jan 22, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #20 of 34
Quote:
No sibilance here with my Denon AH-D2000 (€280), my Bose QuietComfort 15 (€300) or my Shure SE425 IEMs (€225).

Well then you my sir are one of the blessed who don't have a problem with sibilance. I know for a fact that the Denon D2000 is know for having it and since you don't feel anything, i can only say that i wish i had your ears.

Jan 22, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #23 of 34
I know for a fact that the Denon D2000 is know for having it and since you don't feel anything, i can only say that i wish i had your ears.

I've never heard that the Denons had sibilance. Where did you get that idea? I know what sibilance is, and I don't think my ears are anything special. For instance, my Sennheiser CX 870 IEMs were very sibilant, and I put them up on eBay immediately.

Jan 22, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #24 of 34
Quote:
I've never heard that the Denons had sibilance. Where did you get that idea? I know what sibilance is, and I don't think my ears are anything special. For instance, my Sennheiser CX 870 IEMs were very sibilant, and I put them up on eBay immediately.

Well I've been reading the head-fi forums and other reviews for about 2 years now and one thing that i know from looking so much is that most people think that the D2000 is sibilant. You can check is if you'd like but I'm pretty sure about it. IMO ears work weird, maybe what's sibilant to some ain't to others and vice-versa.

But wow, that's a huge discount http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-CX-870-Ear-Canal-Attenuation/dp/B00365EVWE just wanted to see how much the CX870 costs.

Jan 22, 2013 at 5:58 AM Post #25 of 34
Quote:
Here's an article to add to what BilsonChang 007 said about impedance factor, includes a list of sources/amp with their impedance rating, might help you~ :

http://en.goldenears.net/KB_Columns/1389

Thank you for this article, it is very intriguing. I never thought that BA was influenced that much by the impendance!

EDIT: sorry for double post forgot to edit...

Jan 22, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #26 of 34
Well I've been reading the head-fi forums and other reviews for about 2 years now and one thing that i know from looking so much is that most people think that the D2000 is sibilant. You can check is if you'd like but I'm pretty sure about it. IMO ears work weird, maybe what's sibilant to some ain't to others and vice-versa.

I just made a quick search on Head-Fi, and indeed, some people have reported sibilance with the Denons. But there are just as many people who say that they're fine. I have no idea what the actual reason is.

But wow, that's a huge discount http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-CX-870-Ear-Canal-Attenuation/dp/B00365EVWE
ir

just wanted to see how much the CX870 costs.

I urge you to stay away from those, they were just horrible.

Jan 22, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #28 of 34
Quote:
If hisses is such a big topic, then why didn't most reviews around here didn't tell us much about the hisses? Just wondering 
size]

Well because people usually don't mind them. For example my SR80i (in lack of a better example).
I made an experiment when i was home for Christmass. I put my parents and my brother to listen to a song that I myself found sibilant. They had no problem with it and didn't hear any piercing treble. Which is making me believe more and more that ears are really different, not only the shape, but also regarding the way that we pick up certain frequencies. Or i really have a problem.

EDIT: Also, just look over some popular headphones, press Ctrl+F and search the words sibilance, harsh or pierce. I'm sure you will find that some reviewers mention it, as have I.

Jan 22, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #29 of 34
Quote:
Well because people usually don't mind them. For example my SR80i (in lack of a better example).
I made an experiment when i was home for Christmass. I put my parents and my brother to listen to a song that I myself found sibilant. They had no problem with it and didn't hear any piercing treble. Which is making me believe more and more that ears are really different, not only the shape, but also regarding the way that we pick up certain frequencies. Or i really have a problem.

Yea~ I was expecting more people care about it because that's the first thing that my dad try to hear if there is any and he heard one drop of it, he will immediately put it down same goes to me. I can accept the ones on HD598 as it's not all that strong to me and pretty clean to me.

Jan 22, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #30 of 34
Quote:
Yea~ I was expecting more people care about it because that's the first thing that my dad try to hear if there is any and he heard one drop of it, he will immediately put it down same goes to me. I can accept the ones on HD598 as it's not all that strong to me and pretty clean to me.

Hmm i haven't heard the HD598, but i know that I have bought the HD558 3 years ago and tried it for a few days before returning it because it was too piercing to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back