Do amps need a kind of "Burning In"
Sep 27, 2006 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

Corrupt^

100+ Head-Fier
Kay, I just got myself a Musical Fidelity X-Can v3 but I'm wondering if they would need some burning in like headsets.

I know they need to warm up a bit after turning them on, they sounded better after about an hour.

Sep 27, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #2 of 50
Everything that has solder joints needs a day of burn in. But after that I haven't heard any more differences.

The amp also sounds better the longer it is turned on, so that could be confused with burn in. When you turn off the system for a day you need to start the "burn in" all over again.

Sep 27, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #3 of 50
Wow, I never knew that about the solder joints.

Learn something new everyday.

Sep 27, 2006 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
Everything that has solder joints needs a day of burn in. But after that I haven't heard any more differences.

The amp also sounds better the longer it is turned on, so that could be confused with burn in. When you turn off the system for a day you need to start the "burn in" all over again.

The burn in you refer to there I would persoanlyl call "warm up". I dont own any tube gear, but apparently its even more important for tubes.

Sep 27, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #5 of 50
Hey Patrick, which devices did you check out that had no solder joints?

Quote:

Wow, I never knew that about the solder joints.

Learn something new everyday.

When it comes to learning, picking the right teacher can be quite important.

Sep 27, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #6 of 50
Well, a lot of cables have solder joints, but there's not a lot of concensus on the question of cables needing "burn in".

I would just enjoy the amp, rather than worrying about if it's been burned in enough. A lot of people here seem to have forgotten that this is all about enjoying the music, not nitpicking subtle sonic differences.

Sep 27, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #7 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vul Kuolun
Hey Patrick, which devices did you check out that had no solder joints?

When it comes to learning, picking the right teacher can be quite important.

If you resolder something you need to burn it in again until it sounds like before. It doesn't take a genius to figure out if you solder it the first time you need to burn it in too.

Sep 27, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #8 of 50
Quote:

If you resolder something you need to burn it in again until it sounds like before. It doesn't take a genius to figure out if you solder it the first time you need to burn it in too.

But it needs a genius to find out why that is, right? Nobody knows, nobody... Didn't know this is the "Twighlight Zone"-Forum. Kinda strange, really.

But as it doesn't harm anybody: Burrrn, solder joint, burrn. Unbelievable sound improvements in sight.

Sep 27, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #9 of 50
Amp burn-in is real!

Definitely!
cool.gif
(...if you ask me)

Sep 27, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #11 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
Amp burn-in is real!

Definitely!
cool.gif
(...if you ask me)

Skeptics aren't going to read that all, they will just cherry pick words and twist them around to suit their beliefs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vul Kuolun
But it needs a genius to find out why that is, right? Nobody knows, nobody... Didn't know this is the "Twighlight Zone"-Forum. Kinda strange, really.

But as it doesn't harm anybody: Burrrn, solder joint, burrn. Unbelievable sound improvements in sight.

If you expect "unbelievable" improvements you are in the wrong forum.
In my system I can hear a difference even when unplugging interconnects and plugging them back in. It needs a day until it sounds like before. This has happened consistently EVERY time.

Sep 27, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #12 of 50
Quote:

Skeptics aren't going to read that all, they will just cherry pick words and twist them around to suit their beliefs.

It's funny that those who have occupied themselves with the matter in question and come to the conclusion that certain audio phenomena exist are usually called «believers». Whereas self-proclaimed skeptics usually «know» which audio phenomena are possible and which are not and for this reason are in a position to renounce to occupy themselves with the matter. So they actually should be called «knowers».
biggrin.gif

Sep 27, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #13 of 50
Thx for the replies.

It's already sounding great atm (omg the veil is gone
biggrin.gif
), I did notice however, that after 1 hour and later on after 2 hours, the sound became even smoother.

I guess that's the "warmup" ?

Sep 27, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #14 of 50
Don't know about that solder joint thing - reflowing joints with the solder iron has been known to lower distortion measurements, but I'm not sure I would run my amp hot enough to affect the solder joints by itself.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

As for burn-in, I do believe it's real - at least it has been on my DIY amps. It's all about capacitors. Big electrolytics need time to go through a number of charge/discharge cycles before they settle in. Box poly's lose some of their harshness.

None of this is on the same order as some often cite - hundreds of hours. I've noticed box caps losing their harshness in just an hour or two. As for the 'lytics, it depends on the size. 220uF a few hours, 470's a lot more - perhaps a few days, etc., etc. YMMV.

A quality mfr will put a few hours of burn-in on a commercially sold amp, so that may fool many into thinking that burn-in is not necessary.

Sep 27, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #15 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrupt^
Thx for the replies.

It's already sounding great atm (omg the veil is gone
biggrin.gif
), I did notice however, that after 1 hour and later on after 2 hours, the sound became even smoother.

I guess that's the "warmup" ?

It is your brain getting used to the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back