Do ALL IEM's suffer from "footstep syndrome"?
Oct 9, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #16 of 63
I notice it a lot if I am walking fast with my UE-10pros. I usually do walk with ER6i and don't notice the footfall sound much. I use the 2 flange earpieces, the 3 flange, with its smaller tip jams into my ear more firmly, and while the sound is a bit better, is more painful, and transmits the footfall sound more. I also don't really want the increased isolation while walking in the morning.

Oct 9, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #17 of 63
The shaddowing effect, as separate from microphonics, is something that I have never managed to control entirely. That's why I listen to "busy" music on the go, rather than "empty" stuff, like quieter classical.

Oct 9, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #19 of 63
People, you need to distinguish between microphonics and footstep sounds. The microphonics are there because the cable is swooshing against fabric or whatever. The footstep 'thud' is bone induced, the vibration between your feet and the pavement is led through your bones to your head. You can hear it whenever you close your ears (try putting your fingers in your ears and hear for yourself). Everyone will hear this every time you close your ears. There is nothing you can do about it apart from not walking. If you don't want to hear it, don't close your ears (i.e. don't use IEMs).

Oct 9, 2006 at 7:35 PM Post #20 of 63
its true, it might have something to do with the way someone walks. If you do the flatfooted walking (whole foot on the ground, sort of like stomping) then you should hear it, because the shock goes through the bones and such. I rarely hear it, because i do a whole heal-foot-toe when I walk, that may be why.

Oct 9, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #22 of 63
I had a pair of sony IEMs a couple of years ago and that was when I first noticed this problem. You get the same thing if you use foam earplugs. I soon learned that you don't EAT when wearing them either! Chomp Chomp!
My Shure E2s are the same. I use the sleeve on the cord to tighten the cord to my head or stick it in the band of my baseball cap (sunny day, walking, bald head, you do the math!) At least all the cord noise is gone if I've got the tension right, it's a tough getting it though because too much tension and I'm pulling on my ears around my glasses!
What I'd like to know is Do the Shure silicone pads act like my cheap Sonys and cause a whistling sound in my ears much like when you're car window is open just a crack and your on the highway! My next upgrade maybe an e4 or E500, the E2s only have Rock hard plastic and the Orange Foamies.
The best thing I've been able to do with my Shures is to select the right kind of music and to a small degree match my step to the beat, it helps. But I only listen to classical when I'm on the Bus~

Oct 9, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #23 of 63
yea... footsteps arn't avoidable... and any internal noise coming from the body is unavoidable... you can hear your bone like click when you just move your jaws... you can't do anything about it unless you are completely stiff... eating with the IME is ver uncomfortable too... it's unavoidable :/

however, microphonic, the sound from an external source, and introduced to your brain through the headhpone are avodiable... i had the problem with ER6s, and i was told to loop it around my ear and clip the cable to the shirt; those two thing together really eliminated the microphonic...

Oct 9, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #24 of 63
Same here, it's happened to every single IEM I've ever had. Like ^, I get them with foamies too. As for microphonics, I think the most un-microphonic headphone is the E500 followed closely by the ER6i and E4c. The ER4P/S were by far the most microphonic. Even with the shirt-clip on, I found it impossible to wear beneath a tube neck jumper with a front zipper. The teeth of the zipper rubbed against the braided wire and the result wasn't too nice! I guess if you wore it with the wires on the outside, then the microphonics would more or less disappear.

Oct 9, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #25 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Same here, it's happened to every single IEM I've ever had. Like ^, I get them with foamies too. As for microphonics, I think the most un-microphonic headphone is the E500 followed closely by the ER6i and E4c. The ER4P/S were by far the most microphonic. Even with the shirt-clip on, I found it impossible to wear beneath a tube neck jumper with a front zipper. The teeth of the zipper rubbed against the braided wire and the result wasn't too nice! I guess if you wore it with the wires on the outside, then the microphonics would more or less disappear.

lol... accoridng to headphone.com... the ER4 are the least microphonic:

"This bass-enhanced, low-impedance earphone is the perfect portable audio player pal. The ER-4P's cable is made out of a softer rubber than the ER-4S which slightly reduces the microphonic, cable noise effect (that annoying "the cable just hit my shirt" thump that echoes through your skull) which is a common phenomenon with most earphones."

Oct 9, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #26 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by errorrrr

"This bass-enhanced, low-impedance earphone is the perfect portable audio player pal. The ER-4P's cable is made out of a softer rubber than the ER-4S which slightly reduces the microphonic, cable noise effect (that annoying "the cable just hit my shirt" thump that echoes through your skull) which is a common phenomenon with most earphones."

Well this is not true... ER4P is much much better than ER4S because of their braided wire. ER4S is HORRENDOUS.
But I pardon you, ER4 are NOT the least microphonic, at least they are worse than UM2s. ER4s can never be worn looping around your ear, and this along would already eliminated the ER4s from this competition.

Oct 10, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #27 of 63
This problem has little to do with cable microphonics and is mostly due to conduction of sound through your bones. There's nothing an IEM itself can really do to get rid of it because the noise isn't conducted by the IEM.

Oct 10, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #28 of 63
Quote:

ER4s can never be worn looping around your ear, and this along would already eliminated the ER4s from this competition.

Are you kidding? I do that all the time with no problems.

Oct 10, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #29 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by errorrrr

I've had them for long enough to know that definitely ain't true.

I thought they improved the ER4S cables?
confused.gif

Oct 10, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #30 of 63
Aaarrgh. Until now I have managed to live in ignorance but after reading this thread all I can listen to while running is my footsteps.

Damn you head-fi, it wasn't enough to drain my bank account?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back