Do all audiophiles hate Mega Bass?
Dec 18, 2001 at 7:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

neb

New Head-Fier
In a lot of the reviews I've read of portable cd players it seems that it is always the 'raw' quality of the headphone output that is judged by the reviewer (and fair enough too). However, the reviewer will nearly always pass comment on how the sound is ruined when the bass boost (or similar) is turned on - giving the impression that most people after a good portable are not interested in altering the output anyway.

Are audiophiles simply purists who believe a good set of headphones should be enough to provide sufficient bass or is 'Mega Bass' just poorly implemented in most units?

Personally I find it expands the sound and gives it a 'live' feel (as well as making the unit louder). When I turn it off it can be like going from stereo to mono.

Does anyone here like it?

Ben

Dec 18, 2001 at 7:35 AM Post #2 of 45
I personally don't care for or use the megabass or EQ settings on any of my portables (or home components for that matter) at normal listening levels, under normal conditions. Most of the time it is overdone and ruins the listening experience for me. I'd rather hear the music the way it was recorded in most circumstances. About the only time I'll use any EQ or megabass settings, is occasionally at very low listening levels to enhance the lows a little bit. I feel with good headphones no EQ settings are usually needed.

-Keith

Dec 18, 2001 at 8:36 AM Post #3 of 45
First you'll have to tell us what headphones and portable you are using... (hint: profile
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Cheap earbuds have anemic bass that is nicely complemented by bass boost. I used to use MB all the time with my Sony MDR-E837 earbuds--they definitely needed it. Not so the EX70
smily_headphones1.gif

On most phones other than stock earbuds the MB will be overdone. Which is not to say that all high-end cans do not need any EQ whatsoever--but the EQ on portables usually don't suit them.

Some circumaural cans with big drivers have *too much* bass even without bass boost.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 18, 2001 at 8:38 AM Post #4 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by neb
In a lot of the reviews I've read of portable cd players it seems that it is always the 'raw' quality of the headphone output that is judged by the reviewer (and fair enough too). However, the reviewer will nearly always pass comment on how the sound is ruined when the bass boost (or similar) is turned on - giving the impression that most people after a good portable are not interested in altering the output anyway.

Are audiophiles simply purists who believe a good set of headphones should be enough to provide sufficient bass or is 'Mega Bass' just poorly implemented in most units?

Well, I'd say that most people here carefully choose headphones that suit their personal listening preferences. So when the headphone on itself gives the desired sound, it can be expected that the sound is 'ruined' when you use something like 'Mega Bass'.

It might be a different story if you have a predetermined headphone, for example the notorious supplied one. Then it makes sense to use EQ to bend it's sound to be more pleasant to you. However, you will still never achieve the sound quality possible with a high quality headphone.

Dec 18, 2001 at 9:41 AM Post #5 of 45
If you turn on mega bass on my radioshack PCDP with my ER6s you totally ruin the neutral feel of them. That's one of the highlights of the ER6s IMO, if the recording is good it sounds very natural and real. Mega bass just adds boom and makes everything ugly.

Dec 18, 2001 at 10:30 AM Post #6 of 45
>>Are audiophiles simply purists who believe a good set of headphones should be enough to provide sufficient bass or is 'Mega Bass' just poorly implemented in most units?

In order for Mega Bass to be 'well implemented' one has to know beforehand what phones you will be using with your player--that or the EQ has the be user adjustable.

There are imbalances in almost any headphones out there that can be corrected IF you tailor the EQ for your phones, NOT by using MB. Whether the corrected response would actually sound better than before for all phones is more debated (I believe it is, most people here believe high-end phones will always sound worse with EQ
mad.gif
)

For alternative (positive) view of EQ see here:
http://headwize.com/articles/hoff_art.htm

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dec 18, 2001 at 12:26 PM Post #8 of 45
What does that have to do with it?
confused.gif

Dec 18, 2001 at 1:31 PM Post #9 of 45
Here's the thing with any sort of eq. It adds more circuits in the signal path, and when you add anything extra, it can degrade the overall signal quality, especially if it is made of cheap components.

Most stock headphones that come with portable players are very cheap and are thin and anemic sounding. So, a MegaBass boost can do wonders to make their sound acceptable, and if you are not a critical listener, you can have lots of fun with your inexpensive portable.

However, if you want to hear details in the music, you must use good quality headphones. Most good headphones have a full sound that you will find does not need the extra mid-bass boost. So when you apply this boost to good equipment, you seriously exaggerate the bass and significantly lower the quality of the listening experience.

Since you've come here to an audiophile forum, I assume you have at least some mild interest in good sound. So, I suggest you find an audio store near you where you can audition lots of different headphones out of your portable, and listen to them with your favorite music. I think you'll find good cans don't need the boost, and that you'll be able to hear your music more fully and naturally, and maybe have a more involving listening experience than you imagined.

cajunchrist

Dec 18, 2001 at 2:16 PM Post #10 of 45
Quote:

neb says...

neb, on today's portables, the latter statement is true - today's implementation of Mega Bass just plain SUCKS. Even on the three-step (off/mid/max) versions, the "mid" position still delivers too much bass through even some of my cheap earbuds, not to mention that the sound is MUCH more likely to be distorted at half-volume.

Dec 18, 2001 at 5:01 PM Post #11 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
neb, on today's portables, the latter statement is true - today's implementation of Mega Bass just plain SUCKS. Even on the three-step (off/mid/max) versions, the "mid" position still delivers too much bass through even some of my cheap earbuds, not to mention that the sound is MUCH more likely to be distorted at half-volume.

I agree with Eagle_Driver. Although i do use the Mega Bass setting on my MD portable because it actually sounds nice and doesn't distort at all. My discman is another story...it distorts half way up on the volume on bass heavy recordings.

George

Dec 18, 2001 at 5:12 PM Post #12 of 45
I have yet to hear any sort of mega bass, loudness, or whatever setting manufacturers want to call it, that didn't change the sound for the worst, IMHO.
(nothing beats the "train" setting on a Panasonic PCDP for the worst sound ever!)
tongue.gif

Dec 18, 2001 at 7:47 PM Post #13 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by bootman
(nothing beats the "train" setting on a Panasonic PCDP for the worst sound ever!)
tongue.gif

Damn straight, it sounds all warped and warbled, makes no sense, plus the "live" setting sounds screechy...the Mega Bass function on my MD player seems to work much better, or least how it should be done for pcdp's.

George

Dec 18, 2001 at 8:07 PM Post #14 of 45
Bah! Equalization. Once you find balanced sounding headphones / and or equipment, megabass will just ruin the experience with disgusting, bloated, sloppy, horrific, distorted, boomy, crappy, horrible midbass. It's like listening to some crack face blasting some ill produced rap tune in his ghetto car with a bandpass box tuned to 75hz.

Bleeach!

Dec 18, 2001 at 8:10 PM Post #15 of 45
although my d-777 pcdp has decent bass boost eqs, i never use it unless i'm listening at really low levels. then i turn it on as a "loudness" control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back