Do AC connectors really make this big differences?
Jul 2, 2007 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Patrick82

Banned
My system was way too warm and I couldn't listen longer than half a track before I needed to unplug my system. I was on the floor on my knees ready to start tweaking but didn't want to, so I plugged it back in, but it sounded too warm again so I unplugged it again. So then I found a small tweak I could try, I had bought an Oyaide connector 2 weeks ago but didn't think it was important so I left it on my shelf. I was a huge skeptic and was using adapter connectors. Previously I was using a gold plated Wattgate (and a cryo treated Schuko adapter so I could plug my P300 Power Plant into Premier Power Plant).

So then I replaced the adapter and gold plated Wattgate with a silver plated Oyaide Schuko (Cryo treated by VH Audio) and now my system went from too warm into too bright. What is going on?

Now when I listen to my system, the Oyaide silver signature is what I'm hearing. Previously I was hearing the gold plated signature but I didn't realize it, wow, all those years the warmth problem in my system was the Wattgate connector??!!

Valhalla power cord + Oyaide silver is a great match for detail!

I didn't take any better picture because I didn't think it was worthy. Oyaide is inside that metal can on the right, you can see little pins sticking out.
The adapters in the plastic bags are cryo treated adapters, also from VH Audio, they didn't seem to add any coloration into my system. The signature of my system was the same when I daisy chained Valhalla cables with adapters.

Does gold plated Wattgate vs silver plated Oyaide really make a night and day difference? It's like listening to a completely new system!

Jul 2, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #3 of 28
I think termination and the connectors makes a big difference.

Usually, I prefer bare wire but it is not always practical as in this case.

Jul 2, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think termination and the connectors makes a big difference.

Usually, I prefer bare wire but it is not always practical as in this case.

When I was hardwiring my cables I only heard very small difference, when I added one of those white mainboard connectors I didn't hear a difference.

But when I changed from gold plating into silver plating I heard a huge difference, it's because gold and silver are at the opposite sides of coloration. Both add something to the sound. Copper should be more neutral.

Jul 2, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #5 of 28
Did you take off or put on your pants in the midst of all this? Wearing pants or taking off pants can affect the sound, especially when changing types of AC connectors. It doesn't seem to make a difference regarding changes of cables, just connectors.

Jul 2, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you take off or put on your pants in the midst of all this? Wearing pants or taking off pants can affect the sound, especially when changing types of AC connectors. It doesn't seem to make a difference regarding changes of cables, just connectors.

No, I'm not wearing any pants. I want consistency to make my impressions accurate.

Jul 2, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #7 of 28
Patrick, I see you have Oyaide P037, which is actually phosphor bronze plated with silver, then plated finally with Rhodium.

This thread is one of the less insane threads started by Patrick, and yes the gold-plated Wattgates are much warmer sounding than most Oyaides, except maybe for the Oyaide P079, which is phosphor bronze/gold/gold.

What's insane is the price charged for these connectors and AC outlets. Having tried them, I'm perfectly happy with much less costlier options, such as Hubbell 5362iG for AC outlets and plain Marinco plugs.

Jul 3, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Patrick, I see you have Oyaide P037, which is actually phosphor bronze plated with silver, then plated finally with Rhodium.

This thread is one of the less insane threads started by Patrick, and yes the gold-plated Wattgates are much warmer sounding than most Oyaides, except maybe for the Oyaide P079, which is phosphor bronze/gold/gold.

What's insane is the price charged for these connectors and AC outlets. Having tried them, I'm perfectly happy with much less costlier options, such as Hubbell 5362iG for AC outlets and plain Marinco plugs.

Does the Marinco sound more lean and thin than the gold plated Wattgate?

Jul 4, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

love it!

Jul 4, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #10 of 28
patrick82 = boy who cried wolf. this thread actually has merit but people are still taking shots at him
icon10.gif

Jul 7, 2007 at 9:04 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by yo2tup2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
patrick82 = boy who cried wolf. this thread actually has merit but people are still taking shots at him
icon10.gif

Crying wolf...people shoot?
confused.gif

All my threads have merit, people just can't see it yet. In the future audiophiles will have their entire listening room covered in ERS Paper or other shielding materials, because it doesn't color the sound, it just removes EMI from infecting the system.
I also like Magix levitation feet because it keeps the frequency response flat.
ERS Paper and Magix are amazing, I still haven't heard any weaknesses at all!

I like to color the sound using AC power instead, it gives the best overall performance but it's more expensive.

Jul 7, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ERS paper covered walls in a room = room full of people without signal for their cell phones?

Yes. I never owned a cell phone because it won't work with ERS Paper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back