Do 701s need an amp?
Mar 16, 2006 at 1:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

russedelic

Head-Fier
Hi All,

I've decided to buy the AKG701s. I know they are pretty efficient, but will I need/want a dedicated amp for them? What more might I get in terms of sonic quality with a headphone amp compared to running them through my Adcom preamp?

If an amp will really help, does the high efficiency of the AKGs help determine what kind of amp would work well for me?

russedelic

Mar 16, 2006 at 1:27 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by russedelic
Hi All,

I've decided to buy the AKG701s. I know they are pretty efficient, but will I need/want a dedicated amp for them? What more might I get in terms of sonic quality with a headphone amp compared to running them through my Adcom preamp?

If an amp will really help, does the high efficiency of the AKGs help determine what kind of amp would work well for me?

russedelic

No, the 701 is one of the less efficient cans today. So they MUST to have an amp! The real sensitiviti is 90 db ! Not 105 as you have read in the specs...

Best!
Nicola

Mar 16, 2006 at 1:39 PM Post #3 of 10
A high impedance (usually) dictacts whether a headphone will need an amp or not. Correct me if I am wrong on this.

Mar 16, 2006 at 1:48 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67
A high impedance (usually) dictacts whether a headphone will need an amp or not. Correct me if I am wrong on this.

Yes, and so does sensitivity. Lower sensitivity (<95) means amp is required.

Mar 16, 2006 at 1:50 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by russedelic
Hi All,

russedelic

Have you read a single AKG 701 thread before posting this? Search is your friend...

But yes, you need an amp, most of the reviews I've seen claim they are pretty much mediocre to useless without amplification.

Mar 16, 2006 at 1:51 PM Post #6 of 10
OK, so both impedence and sensitivity are crucial. That's good to know. So I will need an amp . . . Is there anything out there under $200 that would work well with the 701s? Should I go for tube or solid state?
thanks,
russ

Mar 16, 2006 at 1:51 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Yes, and so does sensitivity. Lower sensitivity (<95) means amp is required.

I usually look at the Impedance when checking out specs to see if an amp is needed though. Sensitivity is how loud a transducer will output with a given amount of power. It makes sense both ways.

Get any new cans Milkpowder??

Mar 16, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #8 of 10
The 701 are way harder to drive than the HD650. Comparing them both side to side, I had to crank the 701 a few notches up just to get the same volume. You don't JUST need an amp for them... you need a BEEFY amp.

Mar 16, 2006 at 3:45 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
The 701 are way harder to drive than the HD650. Comparing them both side to side, I had to crank the 701 a few notches up just to get the same volume. You don't JUST need an amp for them... you need a BEEFY amp.

BEEFY amp ! Yeeeaahhh... with beefy tubes !!!

Best!
Nicola

Mar 16, 2006 at 3:57 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
BEEFY amp ! Yeeeaahhh... with beefy tubes !!!

Best!
Nicola

Like... this?

beefyamp.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back