Do 701s need an amp?
Mar 16, 2006 at 1:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

russedelic

Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 14, 2006
Posts
84
Likes
0
Hi All,

I've decided to buy the AKG701s. I know they are pretty efficient, but will I need/want a dedicated amp for them? What more might I get in terms of sonic quality with a headphone amp compared to running them through my Adcom preamp?

If an amp will really help, does the high efficiency of the AKGs help determine what kind of amp would work well for me?

russedelic
 
Mar 16, 2006 at 1:27 PM Post #2 of 10

Nik

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 23, 2002
Posts
2,954
Likes
44
Location
Italy (Turin)
Quote:

Originally Posted by russedelic
Hi All,

I've decided to buy the AKG701s. I know they are pretty efficient, but will I need/want a dedicated amp for them? What more might I get in terms of sonic quality with a headphone amp compared to running them through my Adcom preamp?

If an amp will really help, does the high efficiency of the AKGs help determine what kind of amp would work well for me?

russedelic



No, the 701 is one of the less efficient cans today. So they MUST to have an amp! The real sensitiviti is 90 db ! Not 105 as you have read in the specs...

Best!
Nicola
 
Mar 16, 2006 at 1:39 PM Post #3 of 10

darkninja67

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 15, 2005
Posts
3,252
Likes
15
A high impedance (usually) dictacts whether a headphone will need an amp or not. Correct me if I am wrong on this.
 
Mar 16, 2006 at 1:48 PM Post #4 of 10

milkpowder

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 22, 2005
Posts
8,496
Likes
18
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67
A high impedance (usually) dictacts whether a headphone will need an amp or not. Correct me if I am wrong on this.


Yes, and so does sensitivity. Lower sensitivity (<95) means amp is required.
 
Mar 16, 2006 at 1:50 PM Post #5 of 10

Trogdor

Reviewer: Metal-Fi
Joined
Feb 1, 2004
Posts
4,141
Likes
419
Quote:

Originally Posted by russedelic
Hi All,

I've decided to buy the AKG701s. I know they are pretty efficient, but will I need/want a dedicated amp for them? What more might I get in terms of sonic quality with a headphone amp compared to running them through my Adcom preamp?

If an amp will really help, does the high efficiency of the AKGs help determine what kind of amp would work well for me?

russedelic



Have you read a single AKG 701 thread before posting this? Search is your friend...

But yes, you need an amp, most of the reviews I've seen claim they are pretty much mediocre to useless without amplification.
 
Mar 16, 2006 at 1:51 PM Post #6 of 10

russedelic

Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 14, 2006
Posts
84
Likes
0
OK, so both impedence and sensitivity are crucial. That's good to know. So I will need an amp . . . Is there anything out there under $200 that would work well with the 701s? Should I go for tube or solid state?
thanks,
russ
 
Mar 16, 2006 at 1:51 PM Post #7 of 10

darkninja67

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 15, 2005
Posts
3,252
Likes
15
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Yes, and so does sensitivity. Lower sensitivity (<95) means amp is required.


I usually look at the Impedance when checking out specs to see if an amp is needed though. Sensitivity is how loud a transducer will output with a given amount of power. It makes sense both ways.

Get any new cans Milkpowder??
 
Mar 16, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #8 of 10

Mercuttio

Key Conspirator in the Quest to Murder Music
Joined
Apr 22, 2005
Posts
5,774
Likes
89
The 701 are way harder to drive than the HD650. Comparing them both side to side, I had to crank the 701 a few notches up just to get the same volume. You don't JUST need an amp for them... you need a BEEFY amp.
 
Mar 16, 2006 at 3:45 PM Post #9 of 10

Nik

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 23, 2002
Posts
2,954
Likes
44
Location
Italy (Turin)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
The 701 are way harder to drive than the HD650. Comparing them both side to side, I had to crank the 701 a few notches up just to get the same volume. You don't JUST need an amp for them... you need a BEEFY amp.


BEEFY amp ! Yeeeaahhh... with beefy tubes !!!

Best!
Nicola
 
Mar 16, 2006 at 3:57 PM Post #10 of 10

Mercuttio

Key Conspirator in the Quest to Murder Music
Joined
Apr 22, 2005
Posts
5,774
Likes
89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
BEEFY amp ! Yeeeaahhh... with beefy tubes !!!

Best!
Nicola



Like... this?

beefyamp.jpg
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top