Do 100% cotton shirts shrink with every wash?
Mar 9, 2009 at 5:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

TheMarchingMule

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been buying more shirts lately to make up for the baggy ones I want to get rid of, and I'm sadly between two sizes (Small and Medium).

Some shirts are of the same brand and size, and yet they seem to be different sizes. The only logical explanation of this is that I've owned one shirt longer than the other, therefore I've washed it more.

I'm still buying shirts today (about to buy one in an hour or so), so I'm wondering if subsequent washes do shrink 100% cotton shirts more, or if the companies have changed their measurements, you think?

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #2 of 19
Some brands change their sizing over time. I know American Eagle has made a lot of their clothing sizes a lot smaller than they used to be because they are going for an annoying "classic" tight fit or something like that. I now have to buy larger sizes just to get enough height in t-shirts or arm length in coats.

Mar 9, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #3 of 19
Different brands measure differently, and over time brands do make things sized differently. I had always assumed it was down to the specific sizes made by individual sweat shops.

Mar 9, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #4 of 19
Yeah, the American Apparel (they say their shirts are made in a sweatshop-free place in LA) tag is different between these two shirts...

Mar 9, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #5 of 19
Got specs?
water temp, duration, how are you drying, what powder?
If you want to keep them from shrinking hand wash them
Next best would be say a 30 minute cold water rinse with powder for "sensitive skin".
Suggest line dry without direct contact from the sun.
edit: totally realised i forgot to read the thread.

Mar 9, 2009 at 8:45 AM Post #6 of 19
I thought cotton only shrunk the first time you washed it and usually cam pre-shrank. But then again my clothes system consists of thre areas, the clean bascket, the dirty basket, and the stuff that need to be hang up.

Mar 9, 2009 at 11:19 AM Post #7 of 19
I wash shirts & jeans in cold water, short cycle, and dry them slightly in the dryer. Line drying on a hanger finishes the job, and I have no problem with shrinkage.

Mar 9, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #8 of 19
I think they only shrink on the first wash. If I buy a 100% cotton shirt I always buy an XL then it ends up being a L and it fits perfectly.

I always try to buy a cotton/polyester blend, say 60/40 since they don't shrink, or very little.

My biggest battle is the length of the shirt and sleeve length as I'm 6'5"

Mar 9, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #9 of 19
I really think that depends on the quality of the fabric.
Some shirts seems to shrink close to nothing at all, beside the first wash or something. While others seems to shrink every single time...

Mar 9, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #10 of 19
most of my clothes are washed in warm/hot water, then been put into dryer with high heat on. Yes, they do shrink as I continue wash in this faction.

but oh well.... been 5 feet 8, and 175 lb.... all my shirts are either L or XL... so shrinkage really isn't a problem for me

Mar 9, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #11 of 19
A lot of clothings I all have slightly different sizes even though they are from the same company with same spec. For instance, I have a few AA tshirts, all same model and size, but they all had different lengths and widths when they weren't even washed for the first time.

Mar 9, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #12 of 19
My clothes are usually washed in cold water, but still some of my cotton tees shrink. Especially the thin fabric ones from AE and such.

Mar 9, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #13 of 19
I always buy 100% cotton clothes (man made fibers either make me sweat or itch) and recently made several ebay purchases from the same seller, of a total of 10 identical brand black t-shirts (XXXL), with various different car, camera, and motorcycle logos on them. I always buy a larger size so they'll still fit me after washing. However , despite being identical shirts, a couple of them are at least 2 1/2 or maybe even 3 inches shorter than all the others. They're way too short to the point of exposing my belly button when I raise my arms. If you ever saw my middle-age man gut, you'd know just how attractive that can be.

I figure it's simply bad quality control from the sweatshop that made the shirts.

Mar 10, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canuck57 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always try to buy a cotton/polyester blend, say 60/40 since they don't shrink, or very little.

I got rid of nearly all of my cotton/poly shirts, as they made my armpits stink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back