DMM Recommendation
Mar 24, 2005 at 9:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

comabereni

1000+ Head-Fier
I gave my nice, hardly used Fluke away to an electrician friend of mine a couple years ago (well, I sold it for $50, same thing) thinking I'd probably never have need for an expensive MM since I had never used its advanced functions from the time I bought it. Besides, we're good friends.

Then I started hanging around this place. Well, I still don't see myself needing a super high-end DMM, but would like something accurate and useful enough to handle the kinds of projects common around sites like this one-- amps, DACs, speaker building, etc. It would be great if it cost less than $100. I notice webtronics has some pretty good deals on Chinese tools. Here's the one I'm considering now:

http://www.web-tronics.com/my980.html

webtronics_1830_64748520

I think it's just $55. Any other recommendations?

Thanks,

coma

Mar 24, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #3 of 10
Auto-ranging would be convenient. There's this one for $30 (webtronics self-proclaimed "Top DMM Value!"
smily_headphones1.gif
), but it doesn't do true-RMS and is limited to 3-3/4 Digits.

http://www.web-tronics.com/cirspectec29.html

webtronics_1831_4076710

Then there's this one that seems like a nice unit--auto-ranging, true RMS, certificate of calibration, etc. Only $89.00 and looks like it'd do everything I could want forever...

http://www.web-tronics.com/hibaacrmsdim.html

webtronics_1833_5906736

-coma

Mar 24, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #4 of 10
I have some advice in this article. Be sure to read the forum articles I link to as well!

Mar 24, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #5 of 10
I'd recommend this one (Protek 608) as a good value compared to Fluke, particularly at the sale price. True RMS, autoranging, temp probe, etc. I believe Tangent has recommended if you are going to spend $55-$60, you might as well get a good meter (i.e., either get a real cheapie, or go for a good one). There have been some recent DMM threads, and Morsel was the one who recommended the Proteks. I bought one, and really like it.

Mar 24, 2005 at 10:02 PM Post #6 of 10
Tangent, Pars -- thanks.

Why no sticky for questions like these? Too basic? (Tangent's article should be at the top of this DIY forum, IMO, along with others like it).

Anyway, thanks again.

Mar 24, 2005 at 10:16 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars
I'd recommend this one (Protek 608) as a good value compared to Fluke, particularly at the sale price. True RMS, autoranging, temp probe, etc. I believe Tangent has recommended if you are going to spend $55-$60, you might as well get a good meter (i.e., either get a real cheapie, or go for a good one). There have been some recent DMM threads, and Morsel was the one who recommended the Proteks. I bought one, and really like it.

My Protek 608 has been treating me well.

Mar 26, 2005 at 8:43 AM Post #8 of 10
Okay, I decided. Protek 608 it is. $95 on Ebay and loads of useful features. I like its ability to signal you as you are attempting to match component values and zener diode test functions. In fact, it's probably nicer than the Fluke I sold. Thanks everyone for the tips. Now onto power supply(s).

-coma

Mar 26, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #9 of 10
Just wanted to add one more post to this thread before letting it go for anyone looking for a quality, basic, auto-ranging DMM to say there is a seller on Ebay with four dozen Protek Model 122's for sale with a Buy-It-Now price of $12.00 ea + $10 US shipping. This DMM sells for around $50 everywhere else I've seen it, so if you wanted to go the cheap route, this would probably be a really good one to consider.

Protek Model 122 Digital Multimeter

dc_1.JPG

-coma

Mar 28, 2005 at 10:11 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by comabereni
Just wanted to add one more post to this thread before letting it go for anyone looking for a quality, basic, auto-ranging DMM to say there is a seller on Ebay with four dozen Protek Model 122's for sale with a Buy-It-Now price of $12.00 ea + $10 US shipping. This DMM sells for around $50 everywhere else I've seen it, so if you wanted to go the cheap route, this would probably be a really good one to consider.

Protek Model 122 Digital Multimeter

dc_1.JPG

-coma

Anyone knows if this multi-meter accurate enough in measuring resistance and DC-offset? Im choosing between this and the Velleman DVM850BL at partsexpress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back