DJIA - down another 670 points so far today.
Oct 9, 2008 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

flashnolan

500+ Head-Fier
You know it is a bad sign when downjones.com takes a while to load...

I am at work and our daily UPS driver came in for a pickup. He seemed freaked out about his 401k and mentioned that the Down is down 600 points already today. I hope it swings back up before business close.

Oct 9, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #3 of 15
We can only take the kind of losses we've been seeing for another 15 days before everyone is wiped out. So on the positive side it's got to end soon.

I'm sympathetic to the Boomers' 401k issues. 40% loss over the last year coupled with inflation in necessities. There are a lot of people who thought they were wealthier than they were and won't be retiring.

Oct 9, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #5 of 15
wow. i just closed on a refi about a month ago, cashed out equity and was going to put it in my stock portfolio but never got around to it. it's just been sitting in a money market account.

smartest lazy i've ever been.

Oct 10, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #7 of 15
So...since a year ago today, the DOW has lost 42% of it's value. I haven't looked at my 401k in the last month. Too afraid to.
eek.gif

Oct 10, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #8 of 15
Yep I've been that smart kind of lazy too. 2 years on my job and I've always "meant to" enroll in the 401K. I think the time to start that is coming soon, once the losses level out.

At least my job isn't much at risk. The alcohol business is secure no matter where the economy's heading.

Oct 10, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #9 of 15
As a lazy person, I was not paying any attention to the financial situation.
About 2 months ago, my wife told me her thrift saving balance staying the same as before. That's when I know it is the time to move my lazy butt, relocate assets in our portfolio.

Oct 10, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjhmuse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure is a good thing everyone has a long term outlook on this!
wink.gif

It's a rollercoaster. Always will be.

Yup. It goes up, it goes down, it bounces all around!

Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if everyone doin the "panic---sell now" thing has anything to do with the index, or to perpetuate its decline?

Yes. Mob mentality at its finest.

Oct 10, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #13 of 15
Looks to be up a little today - some people must have gone after bargains. There are some good ones out there. I'm looking at several to hold 5-10 years.

Oct 10, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks to be up a little today - some people must have gone after bargains. There are some good ones out there. I'm looking at several to hold 5-10 years.

I really wish I had the cash to go grab some of the great deals I'm hearing about. ><

Users who are viewing this thread

Back