DJ headphone search hit wall
Aug 17, 2013 at 7:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

bullfrogg

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody!

I'm new on the forum and last night I spent significant amount of time on your forum trying to read for some new input on my headphone hunt - especially in this post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/667906/very-best-dj-headphone-500
I was impressed by quality of this forum. So I figured I would I could ask you for some help with my latest headphone hunt!

I've been a professional DJ for over 5 years (mostly Techno) and I'm getting into producing since last year. For production I'm currently using the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 which I'm very fond of although they're a little sharp around the heights. For playing live (and at home) I've been using the Sony MDR-V 700 which I'm looking to replace right now. So let me get you up to date with what I'm looking for in a headphone. Any suggestions, feedback, ideas would be greatly appreciated since I haven't been able to find a good fit yet.

Things I care about in order of significance:
  • balanced sound + punchy base (not too much though) + a little rounded heights and upper mids for hearing protection
  • soundstage/clarity
  • isolation
  • replaceable spiral cord
  • style

Things I don't need necessarily:
  • swivel

I'm playing a lot at home so sound quality and soundstage are very important to me, but I also play out a lot thus isolation is equally important.

So far I've tried the following headphones and here's what I did or didn't like about them:

Allen & Heath Xone XD2 - 53
Really liked those, especially the sound quality and soundstage very impressive. Isolation and style aren't that great in my opinion. Would've kept them but they were a little too big for my head and the bass could be little more pronounced.

Sennheiser HD-1 25 II & Pioneer HDJ 1500
Didn't really care for the both of them. They're good with bass and soundquality but lacked soundstage/clarity. I thought they sounded a little dull. But both were quite comfortable

Pioneer HDJ 2000
Like with the 1500 they were quite alright but still lacked a bit of soundstage/clarity.

Beats Mixr
A lot of people have been talking about those so I gave them a shot. I was genuinely impressed! The sound was almost exactly what I was looking for in terms of quality, soundstage, clarity and isolation. They also fit my head really nicely, are very light and look better than any headphone I've seen so far. However the emphasis on the bass is just too much. often I play more than 4 hours at home so I'm really afraid I'd damage my hearing because of the ridiculous amount of bass. It was a great sensation for the first 15-20 Minutes but then I realized it's just over the top for long use.

So here I am. I would have bought the Beats Mixr if the bass was a little less ridiculous. I would have kept the Allen & Heath if they had fit better and if the bass was little more accentuated.

I've looked into other models which I could not test so far. So anybody who's experienced them and can compare them to any of the headphones I've tried so far would be of great help:

Audio-Technica Pro700
Concerns: I've heard they have a lot of bass. That's why I'm afraid they will have too much bass for long use, just like the Mixr.

Ultrasone
I've heard good things about them. But I also heard they lack a little bass, which turns me off. But as I said. Haven't had the chance to test them.
Also the 900's Price tag is a little out of my league. The 750's are still pretty pricy but if they the right ones I would buy them.

V-Modas, Germans, Maestro
Can't get them here in Europe I think. Haven't found a place that offers them.

So that's my current status and I hope for some good feedback, recommendations of people who understand what I'm looking for in a headphone and my taste of sound (as I already mentioned I really liked the Mixrs and Allen & Heaths).
Any help greatly appreciated! :)

Aug 17, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #2 of 11
I wouldn't expect too much soundstage from any closed-back headphone.
Going by the kind of sound you seem to like, maybe you should look at:
- Focal Spirit One
- Sennheiser Momentum
- Bang & Olufsen H6
- PSB M4U1
- Ultimate Ears UE6000

I can't remember, but I think the Focal doesn't have a replaceable cord, or the UE6000.

Aug 17, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #3 of 11
Greq, thanks for your suggestions! I'll look into these.

Just to clarify: There's a on-ear and over-ear version of the Sennheiser Momentums. Which are you referring to? And are they basically the same headphones just with different cups? Because the over-ear version quite a bit more expensive.

Bang & Olufsen and PSB M4U1 are too expensive I'm afraid and the other two don't have a spiral cable which I definitely need for DJing :/

You think you can get the Momentums with a spiral cord?

Aug 17, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #4 of 11
I really don't know where you heard Ultrasone lack bass, but they definately don't quite the opposite infact. The Ultrasone DJ1 is awesome for the money as is the M audio Q40.

Aug 17, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #5 of 11
Also the AiAiAi TMA-1 might be worth a look, but i haven't heard them.

Aug 17, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #6 of 11
Honestly, the AKG K550, they are VERY neutral... and I mean VARY. But they are also SUPER tight with their bass, trust me on this. Un eq'd those things got some KICK. In addition they can be had for about $175 used.

More on the sound though, there is no Spiral Cable sadly, but they look sexy! 

They really are a very balanced headphone, mids retain sweet warmth and good detail, highs have nice energy and clarity they lack a little sparkle but that's only due to the neutral nature of them [I REALLY LIKE BRIGHT cans] 

And they Isolate REALLY well, but I think for producing you'r really going to want that TIGHT bass, as in a live Set with a set of Speakers, a truly TIGHT bass line is going to amp boost and play back much nicer than a loose bass, 

And if it helps I used to own the Sony Xb700, a TRUE Sub Bass monster, and honestly today I prefer the TIGHTER bass of the K550 over the XB, not to mention the XB lacked lower mids and there for could not wobble :[ 

Aug 18, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
I really don't know where you heard Ultrasone lack bass, but they definately don't quite the opposite infact. The Ultrasone DJ1 is awesome for the money as is the M audio Q40.

Thanks for your input. Are you talking about the Ultrasones in general or the DJ1s in particular? - I've heard that the 900.750 are not as strong in the bass region. Maybe that's different with the DJ1?

Quote:
Also the AiAiAi TMA-1 might be worth a look, but i haven't heard them.

I will thanks!

Quote:
Honestly, the AKG K550, they are VERY neutral... and I mean VARY. But they are also SUPER tight with their bass, trust me on this. Un eq'd those things got some KICK. In addition they can be had for about $175 used.

More on the sound though, there is no Spiral Cable sadly, but they look sexy! 

They really are a very balanced headphone, mids retain sweet warmth and good detail, highs have nice energy and clarity they lack a little sparkle but that's only due to the neutral nature of them [I REALLY LIKE BRIGHT cans] 

And they Isolate REALLY well, but I think for producing you'r really going to want that TIGHT bass, as in a live Set with a set of Speakers, a truly TIGHT bass line is going to amp boost and play back much nicer than a loose bass, 

And if it helps I used to own the Sony Xb700, a TRUE Sub Bass monster, and honestly today I prefer the TIGHTER bass of the K550 over the XB, not to mention the XB lacked lower mids and there for could not wobble :[ 

I appreciate your input, but it sounds like this might actually be a little too much bass for me :wink:

Quote:

Shure SRH750DJ. Great sound, detachable cable, superb soundstage for closed headphones and sometimes can be headed on sale fairly cheap. 

Great, I will look into it. Do you know the SRH840?

My hunt will continue. I will keep you guys updated. Thanks for so many suggestions!

Aug 18, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

I appreciate your input, but it sounds like this might actually be a little too much bass for me :wink:

I promise the Akg K550 is NOT a bass monster, trust me. There is NO way it will have to much bass for anyone xD as it's a very flat line bass Frequancy response, although compared to other bass heavy cans like m audio q40, even the Ultrasone Signiture DJ is going to have more bass than the Akg K550, it will [the Ultrasone Signiture DJ] should b just as tight

but trust me, the Akg k550 is not a bassy can by any means! 

Aug 18, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #10 of 11
I meant that generally Ultrasone are known to be pterry V shaped. The 580, 900,2900,780,DJ1,ED8 and the Signature DJ are all pretty coloured on the low end. The HFI-580 and the DJ1 are essentially the same hradphone in different shells, with the DJ1 having a coiled cable. The DJ1 has very hard hitting mid bass but is not that prominent in the sub bass. Also the DJ1 pro is a very different headphone so don't get confused between the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back