DIYmod questions
Sep 17, 2008 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

insyte

500+ Head-Fier
I'm very interested in acquiring a DIYmod (but I'll probably ask someone else to do it for me since Im not that confident with soldering something as delicate ).. so here are my questions...

Im planning to get a 2nd ipod (probably used) for this DIYmod

1. should i go for a 5.5 gen 60 or 80 gb or ipod photo 60 gb?
2. is there a difference in SQ between these 2 DIYmods? how about when compared to RWA Imod?
3. which one is easier to do?
4. From what I understand from the big DIYmod thread is that the caps will fit inside the ipod photo, so no special LOD is needed? (is this correct?)

Thanks in advance

Sep 17, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #2 of 8
1. I would personally go for the 5.5G 80GB for its capacity and gapless, but that's because I already have a capped LOD.

2. I can't comment on the iMod, but I've found the 5.5G to be brighter with less bass depth in my rig, but that could be because of the caps I use. I haven't really spent time to find a set of caps that work well with the 5.5G, but I do like the tangible bass with the 4G in my rig with the Black Gates. I recently destroyed the pads on my 4G, so I'm contemplating going for a 5.5G 80GB or 4G photo myself.

3. I like the 4G for simplicity and cleanliness of build because there is more room inside than the video. The 5.5G requires the wire to sit right underneath the front panel which sinks the clickwheel a little, despite the super thin 30AWG wires I use. The 4G photo specifically has harder-to-reach pads than the 4G click wheel, but it's not all that bad compared to the tight layout in the 5G/5.5G.

4. True.

Sep 18, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the answers
smily_headphones1.gif

I have to factor in the cost of the LOD that's why I asked, and I think i can save some money by going for the ipod photo route.

-----

I currently have a 60 GB ipod video, but I think most of the ones modded are the 80Gb version.... so is there a difference in procedure between modding a 60GB vs 80gb ipod video?

Sep 18, 2008 at 12:08 PM Post #5 of 8
I don't think there is a difference between the 60 and 80gb video boards, as there are only 2 versions of rockbox (one for 30gb and one for 60/80gb, which have more RAM)

As for putting caps in the LOD it depends if you are going to be happy with them - I bought a BlackGate LOD, but am now experimenting with a normal LOD to 2 large caps with a 3.5mm socket soldered each end. There are lots of caps out there, it's up to you if you want to experiment. Having the caps in the imod itself would be tidy and cheaper, but there is no way of experimenting so it's not for me
evil_smiley.gif

If you are DIY'ing an amp you could put the caps in there, but then it would degrade the quality of any other source you used it with...

I've never heard a 4g mod, so can't compare the sound to my 5.5g but it does sound better than stock.

So many options, I hope you pick one you're happy with
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilmerlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious but where are you getting your modding done?

Will have it done by a fellow headfier who lives nearby (around 2 hours of driving)
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by suicidal_orange /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for putting caps in the LOD it depends if you are going to be happy with them - I bought a BlackGate LOD, but am now experimenting with a normal LOD to 2 large caps with a 3.5mm socket soldered each end. There are lots of caps out there, it's up to you if you want to experiment.

What cap are you using right now? can you post a pic of your LOD? Is it still possible to mod the LOD to attach a wire for usb charging?

Sep 18, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by suicidal_orange /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<snip>

If you are DIY'ing an amp you could put the caps in there, but then it would degrade the quality of any other source you used it with...

<more snip>

You could have two sets of inputs wired in parallel: 1 set straight in, the other set with caps

Sep 18, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #8 of 8
Good thinking Pars! I've not gone for a DIY portable amp, not sure my handywork would take the abuse
icon10.gif

Here is a pic of my imod with LOD and caps. It isn't pretty - the connector cover is salvaged from a usb sync cable after I destroyed the original trying to use too thick wire, and even this one has an extended wire hole from the hot glue gun. You could add more wires to allow the same dock cable to charge and/or sync, the sockets come with all 30 pins and the pinouts are on pinouts.ru. Building a dock isn't really fun though, unless you like frustration.

My current caps are standard mcaps mkp 4.7uF 400v and only have about 10 hours on them, so I can't really comment on the sound. I'm planning to try different types and find a sound I like. 2 Neutrik 3.5mm sockets without covers and lots of "magic tape" (like cellotape, but different material so no static) and a bit of solder are all that there is to the cap block. Might have to find some kind of case to put my favourites in when I find them
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back