DIY/T2 Electrostatic Amp Thread - General
Jul 2, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #46 of 80
I'd love to know what you're moving onto from a beast of an amp like that!
Simplifying my set up a bit and downsizing in terms of cost - Mjolnir Carbon.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #47 of 80
Any new T2 owners? I’m curious if there are any Eksonic T2s in bead-blasted black out there so I can see what mine may look like.

Aug 4, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #48 of 80
Simplifying my set up a bit and downsizing in terms of cost - Mjolnir Carbon.
I just heard a T2 for the first time, and while T2 definitely offers an often superior listening experience over all other amps, listening to T2 side by side with Carbon woke the Carbon back up, so to speak. It's not a step down so much as a step sideways. I keep thinking about selling my Carbon and focussing on one amp, but then I come back, simply because Carbon offers a listening experience that (to my ears) sounds more live and unfettered than any other amp.

Dec 25, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #49 of 80
I am considering to get a DIY T2 amp. I am open to get a second-hand fully-built unit, or making one from scratch. Can you guys provide pointers to second-hand units or parts sources (PCBs, chassis/cases, BOM lists, etc.)?

(I am an experienced DIYer, so no worries there -- just a question of finding parts and a lot if time...)

Dec 25, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #50 of 80
I am considering to get a DIY T2 amp. I am open to get a second-hand fully-built unit, or making one from scratch. Can you guys provide pointers to second-hand units or parts sources (PCBs, chassis/cases, BOM lists, etc.)?

(I am an experienced DIYer, so no worries there -- just a question of finding parts and a lot if time...)
There is an extensive thread for the T2 on Head-Case.

Jan 3, 2024 at 8:43 PM Post #51 of 80
Received some pics of my T2 from Kerry today. Wanted to share what the loop out option looks like for those that are curious.
image002.png

Jan 3, 2024 at 9:51 PM Post #53 of 80
Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 6:28 AM Post #55 of 80
Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 8:02 AM Post #56 of 80
If it were due to the PCB upside down, this would mean the pinout for the XLRs on the PCB are reversed. That would be an issue with the PCB design. However, these XLRs look like the chassis-mount type, not PCB mount. It should be trivial to turn them around.

Jan 4, 2024 at 10:13 AM Post #57 of 80
If it were due to the PCB upside down, this would mean the pinout for the XLRs on the PCB are reversed. That would be an issue with the PCB design. However, these XLRs look like the chassis-mount type, not PCB mount. It should be trivial to turn them around.
🤷🏾‍♂️ I’m not the builder. To be more accurate I should have said “under slung from the PCB” since orientation in up and down is relative but whatever the case I’m sure Eksonic has it figured out.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #58 of 80
Same orientation in the OG chassis as well.
IMG_7662.jpeg

Jan 4, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #59 of 80
I know the DIY T2 has "upside down" XLR's, but I seem to recall this being pretty prevalent in general for the "DIY" genre of estat amps. Pretty sure it's this way too on my KGSShv and hev90-balanced builds.

This orientation works great if you're coming from a balanced source in the shelf directly below, up to the estat amp. Then the cable can be a direct pipe, with no rotational twisting on either end. XLR connections are a huge pain when you're out of slack AND you need to twist the cable to line up the pins. Audioquest XLRs with the "cold solder" (i.e. crimped) terminations can start to fail after a relatively small number of twist cycles like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back