DIY starter kit
Mar 6, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #2 of 20
Most people I would think start with a basic iron instead of a station to see if they like DIY or not. There are a lot of other tools to buy too so its a big outlay to get a station as well at the same time. Think you need to get things like wire cutters, flush cutters, solder, braid, helping hands, plyers, tweezers, magnification, flux, and a multi-meter. Not to mention parts and hookup wire. Tangent had some good info on basic tools to buy - in a video I think.

I started with a 25 watt weller iron and simple spring stand to see if I enjoyed DIY - guess what - I did. After a few projects I then upgraded to a hakko 936 which was 110 CAD plus tax at a brick and mortar store in Vancouver.

Oh anyone looking for a slightly used 25 watt weller iron and a few tips
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juaquin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use a Hakko clone and love it. It's cheaper than a lot of "legit" irons that have less features and performance (like my old Weller adjustable).

x2

Mar 15, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2

3x

Mar 15, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #8 of 20
I have to speak up for weller and safety features
wink.gif

non-burning cord (check)
auto-off timer (check)

hakko has none of those.

hakko is fine but those extra features are worth something to me.

I got the wesd51 (digital reading). digital was not expensive and you can see the set AND the current temp. analog knobs only show the 'set' temp.

Mar 15, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #9 of 20
What does everyone think of this?
Soldering&Assy:Solder Stations - 20-40W Soldering Station - ProsKit USA, LLC.

I am thinking about picking this up, mostly because I can buy locally. Is anyone familiar with pro's kit? I haven't soldered a thing in my life, but have a DIY stir plate (for yeast starters for beer) that I am waiting to solder.
I also want to start on a CMOY once I get a soldering setup. I plan on using the stir plate and some breadboard and a bunch of cheap resistors to practice on. I don't want to spend a ton, just in case I find soldering frustrating or it just isn't for me. $25 seems like a decent chance to take.
I am new to this and very excited. Pouring over stuff hear and on Tangent's site.
Thanks for the advice!
Doug

Mar 15, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #11 of 20
This is my Hakko clone from CSI for $40:

7307.jpg

So yeah, drew, I guess your example is a clone also...

Mar 16, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #12 of 20
I think I am going to start with a little 40w kit to make sure I like it.
I want to start with RCA cables or Interconnects, which I think is the same thing lol

exploring the internet to find the right cable, shielding, connectors...so on...crazy.

I am thinking about going right from scratch. Buying some Kynar solid silver plated copper wire, then work up from there. can't decide if I want to use a copper sleeve for a ground, or make a twisted pair then build up.

lots of good intructional videos on Youtube, some seem to contradict the other as far as does the solder iron touch the solder or used to heat up the area to solder...etc...

way too many threads on this site to sort through on DIY cables...imho.

looking at getting the Quadropuss from ebay, some shears and tweezers etc as well. Just ordered some Cardas solder for $7.00, multimeter on sale, and automatic wire stripper also on sale.

I guess RCA interconnects are the best place to start before I even consider recabling my headphones.

Mar 17, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge Buff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is my Hakko clone from CSI for $40:

7307.jpg

So yeah, drew, I guess your example is a clone also...

I have the digital version of this (so I can see the current temp as well). Great iron. Like linuxworks said, it may not have all the safety features and such, but it's better than any other $40 iron.

That ebay one is pretty pricey for a clone. For an extra $15 or so you could get the real thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back