DIY speakers to die for..
Oct 13, 2001 at 6:30 AM Post #3 of 17
man, I don't even want to know how hard those things would be to build...

too bad it's a four-way crossover.

Oct 13, 2001 at 1:07 PM Post #4 of 17
Budgie: Verry Nice, I like your craftmanship alot on those you have alot of talant in Building Loudspeakers. Yup a 4 way system is the only way to go for me also. Is that a ribbon tweeter you are using? Oh this is a headphone fourm.

Oct 13, 2001 at 3:57 PM Post #5 of 17
Those are not my speakers. They turned up at an audio asylum post and I thought they were such a great example of diy that some other people might enjoy them. I do think that we are allowed to discuss things beside headphones here, but I am certain the moderators will tell me if I am wrong.

Oct 13, 2001 at 7:01 PM Post #6 of 17
NO! you may not speak of speakers here, ever! As far as you and every other member on this board is concerned, speakers don't exist!
mad.gif

yeah, of course we can talk about speakers!
biggrin.gif

ppl, why is a fourway the only way to go? I'll go two way or maybe even three way if the extra drivers are helper drivers. but I'd personally prefer a single driver.

Oct 14, 2001 at 2:21 AM Post #7 of 17
Whats the point of having many drivers anyway, like two for the same frequencies? I just don't get it... especially on speakers like these...

s1.jpg

And
R1Speaker.jpg

And

Genes1.jpg

And tons of others...

Oct 14, 2001 at 2:37 AM Post #9 of 17
using 2 speakers covering the same range in a d'appolito confuguration (where you have a tweeter between two midrange drivers) gives a symetrical vertical dispersion. which is why you often see d'appolito setups as centre channels, because when you lay them horizontally, they give an symetrical horizontal dispersion.

the type of speakers you put up are column speakers. i believe the main reason for using column speakers is that they beam sound on axis.

Oct 14, 2001 at 4:08 AM Post #10 of 17
NO! you may not speak of speakers here, ever! As far as you and every other member on this board is concerned, speakers don't exist!

I agree. There's plenty of places for DIY speakers specifically. Just as there are other sites specifically focused on the other aspects of DIY audio; like speaker amplifiers.

Being headphone fanatics, we have no use for such posts here. They just clutter the threads. Please adhere to DIY headphone, headphone amplifier, and source designs and modifications. If someone here is interested in your speaker (or any non-headphone) post, they're probably on that forum already and then not only is this post unwanted it's also a crosspost.

Oct 14, 2001 at 4:34 AM Post #11 of 17
In theroy a single loudspeaker Driver will be Ideal because you will have a Point source. This will give the same dispersion in Both the Horz. and Vert. Direction. In Practtice the concept dose not come out as good as the Theroy would predict. The single Driver can not cover the Audio range werry well so the Audio spectrum is Devided up into Two or more drivers more able to Cover just the Part of the Audio range the Driver is good at starting with the two way Woofer & Tweeter. The driver limitations are another reason for going Beyond the Classic two way Design. A two way Loudspeaker requires the Driver to cover quite a large portion of the Audio Range, Somthing most Drivers do not do very well. Most two way's suffer from High Distortion from the tweeter being overloaded by signals below it's ideal range. Most of the Better sounding two way Loudspeakers are small Mini-Monitor Types. These cut off the Low bass so as to not create High IMD from the Doppler Effect of the low frequencies modulating the Higher ones at loud listening levels. The two way still requires a Crossover point somewhere within the Sensitive part of our Hearing the Midrange...... Headphones on the otherhand have sutch small Driver Excursions that a good Headphone Driver can be made to work well at all Frequencies. The Virtue of the Line source type of speakers as showen Hear is the Dispersion is more limited in the Vertical direction than it is in the Horz. Dir. this removes alot of the Celing Reflections that can cause all Kinds of strange effects. I must point out that loudspeakers like headphones are alot more subjective in design and Preceived sound qualities that one could spend Hours debating the Merit's of each Design over the others. My expearence with Building Loudspeakers is that the Four way design with a High Order Crossover Network 12dB per octave or more sound overall Better. The Design of this type of system is rather Complex and is subject to alot of Fine Tunning to get it right.

Well we got one Mod. saying Loudspeaker Posts are ok and another saying No way. So this will be my last comment on Loudspeakers.

Oct 14, 2001 at 2:45 PM Post #14 of 17
Well we got one Mod. saying Loudspeaker Posts are ok and another saying No way. So this will be my last comment on Loudspeakers.

I personally love this kind of stuff, especially this particualr thread because those speakers look so damn nice!

Sorry, I should know better. Chill. I don't care what you talk about building, really I don't. It was a poke at Neruda because he enjoys talking about building amps, but he's really a speaker guy. He understands wood more than schematics, and I just think he prefers speakers over headphones... he gets frustrated with the electronics stuff but watch him go when you start talking speaker building!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 14, 2001 at 4:04 PM Post #15 of 17
I think we should take a vote on what Apheared was saying.

1) was he poking fun at Neruda?

2) does he care what we talk about?

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back