DIY Power Cable
Apr 14, 2013 at 2:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ChaosClouds

New Head-Fier
Power Cable
Sleeve: Nylon Multiflament
Conductor: 16x 1,5 mm² OCC stranded copper (8 wire for +, 8 wire for -) and 2x6 mm² OCC stranded copper
Geometry: Interlaced, Counter-Rotating,Multiple-Helix cable (Used by previous Shunyata power cable)

It's quite hard to braid this cable.
Since I had only clear color insulation, it's pretty confusing
Using different color insulation will help a lot checking some braiding mistake (after i done braiding it, I got some errors in the middle and i have to re-do it)

Put the cable into the 1" Hose

sealed one side hose with hot glue gun, filled it with steel shot, then sealed the another end using same method.(recommended by Virtual Dynamics)

Nylon Multifilament sleeving does look good indeed :).
It's quite hard finding the way to fit the conductors to the plug (6 awg for each channel)

Done!
After 10-15 hours burn-in, compared to previous power cord I built (7 awg 1x solid core conductor each channel, using the same steel shot method), I found noticeable difference, It gives more transparency, detail, soundstage, and blacker background. However, I found some lower frequency have slightly more power on my solid core power cord.

If you want to learn to braid the cable geometry just click the link above, it will direct you to the patent website.

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #2 of 10
Nice handiwork. What is the steel shot meant to do? 

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #5 of 10
Hi..

Im interested in doing this,
Ive got some questions.

about the conductor 
Only + and - ? no ground?

Did you use a common household hose? for the steel shot container?

where can i buy steel shots online? as i cannot find it in my country. 

how much did all of those cost ?

sorry for my bad english.
Verry nice post btw.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. 

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
Hi..

Im interested in doing this,
Ive got some questions.

about the conductor 
Only + and - ? no ground?

Did you use a common household hose? for the steel shot container?

where can i buy steel shots online? as i cannot find it in my country. 

how much did all of those cost ?

sorry for my bad english.
Verry nice post btw.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. 

Ground wire is in the center 2x6mm².
Any hose will do.
I bought steel shot locally @ sandblasting supplier.
The cost is depend on your material. If you're using cheap wire and inexpensive common plug it would cost less than 50$.

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #7 of 10
Only the current caring conductors should be braided (Hot & Neutral), the Safety Ground/Protective Ground could go straight down the center of the braiding. The total Safety Ground/Protective Ground needs to be as heavy as the Hot/Neutral conductors.

Apr 15, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #8 of 10
Thanks ChaosClouds - I disagree with about 90% of what he calls "science" - especially audible difference from a power cord, much less harmonic vibration as a result of solid vs. stranded wires and the effect of mechanical damping on that. Some actual data would be good. :/

But that's neither here nor there. 

It is a good looking cable, and looks well made. Well done. 

Apr 15, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
Ground wire is in the center 2x6mm².
Any hose will do.
I bought steel shot locally @ sandblasting supplier.
The cost is depend on your material. If you're using cheap wire and inexpensive common plug it would cost less than 50$.

What is the cost of your particular project in this thread?
Can you list the items, what which kind or part numbers and give me the link where to buy? ( Plugs, cables, hose, steel shots, etc )
Since I cannot find a plug that can handle such a big wires,

Thanks.

Apr 16, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #10 of 10
Its kinda hard to tell the cost and where to buy it, because some of the components were purchased locally at normal store. Then, I do some modification to the plug using lathe at local company as well. But I guess it cost around 100 - 120 bucks (Total cost).

Quote:
Thanks ChaosClouds - I disagree with about 90% of what he calls "science" - especially audible difference from a power cord, much less harmonic vibration as a result of solid vs. stranded wires and the effect of mechanical damping on that. Some actual data would be good. :/

But that's neither here nor there.

It is a good looking cable, and looks well made. Well done.

Well, for me, my first DIY power cable which applying steel shot to the hose with 3x solid core 8 AWG conductors (Got it from home depot store)
Heard positive difference over stock power cord (might be placebo).
It took only less than 1 hour to build (if you have all materials), try to make one and test it.
Thanks for the compliment :).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back