DIY Power Amp - Suggestions?
Feb 2, 2008 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

johan851

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all. I just finished building an M3 that I was planning to use both as a headphone amp and as a preamp. I also have a Pioneer A35R that supposedly has a power amp mode (allowing you to plug in a preamp and bypass the internal one) and now that I try it, it's apparent that the internal preamp isn't bypassed. I might as well get a power amp, if that's the case.

I've googled around a little bit, and seems like there are a lot of power amp kits out there. I have no idea where to start. I know that I'd like something that's class AB or class D, and I probably want around 20w or so (more is ok). Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to keep my budget realistic...probably in the $300 range or so. If anyone thinks I would be better off just buying something like a Rotel RB-1050, I could do that too.

Feb 2, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #4 of 7
I'm listening to my LM3886 gainclone ("Speaker" link in signature) and it sounds wonderful.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #5 of 7
Feb 2, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for the link. The information on those sites is a little odd...I can see where to order one, how to put one together, etc, but they don't talk about how it works or what kind of output power they can produce.

Feb 2, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by johan851 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the link. The information on those sites is a little odd...I can see where to order one, how to put one together, etc, but they don't talk about how it works or what kind of output power they can produce.

If you download the PDF's on the audiosector website for the LM3875 there is a bit on toroidal voltages which should give you an idea. The secondaries on mine are 35v which i think gives me 50wRMS per channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back