DIY Portable DAC/Amp?
Feb 11, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #4 of 6
I'm in the process of building my own, so I can't comment personally but  reviews by other builders have been very positive.  I have built other AMB projects before and all of them have turned out stellar.  Support on the AMB forum is also first class.

Me

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #5 of 6
  Has anyone built a diy portable DAC/Amp with good sound? I'm currently looking to get one but really want to build one myself.
Thanks

I had previously built a couple of Carrie amp/Grub DAC combos that I thought sounded really great when you consider the size and limitations of using a USB powered amp and DAC combo. The Carrie amp is essentially a Mini 3 but designed for USB power only rather than batteries, which allows room for the onboard DAC. Unfortunately, the Carrie boards are not available at present, but Joneeboi is working on a new version that will hopefully be out sometime this year.

If you don't want to wait, and don't mind spending a bit more money, then I would have to second the recommendation for the new y1.5 from AMB as well. It is a step up in technical ability from the Carrie/Grub combo, and I'm sure it will sound fantastic. As the boards have just been released, I have not had an opportunity to build one or listen to one either, but hopefully will get around to it at some point soon. If you want a one-cable solution for power and data transfer, it's probably your best bet in the DIY world at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back