DIY Planar magnetic heapdhones in details
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 13, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #256 of 464
That's very nice. Can you elaborate on this bit - I don't understand what you used at all.

You need such machine

and cut future mask on self-adhesive vinyl and then transfer it on film that form a membrane.

Good to see that you are still working on this. I think going only planar is a better idea than trying to mount, align and integrate a dynamic tweeter. I am glad you found a better material for the driver.

This project won't be abandoned. There is old russian proverb that i'll try to translate: Better is an enemy of good. So I've spent many time to make an enemy of good headphones :wink: But I'm on finish line. The only thing I need to experiment with is a tension of diaphragm.

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #257 of 464
I've received today last parts I need to assemble something I can call a finished product, not a construction sample.
Upon many measurements and listening tests I've chosen angled natural leather earpads with oval opening. But how to attach it? I don't like 2-sided adhesive tape + I want earpads to rotate inside cup for better customization (remember that earpads are angled?).

So I've cutted 2 circles from magnetic steel with width 0.3mm (weight of each is only 5 grams) and modified magnetic system a bit.
Take a look:
мс.jpg
I've inserted 9 small rounds magnets and assembled earpads with steel circle:
IMG_3728[2].JPG
IMG_3729[1].JPG
IMG_3730[1].JPG

Magnetic linkage is quite optimal - easy to attach\detach, easy to rotate, impossible to accidentally detach earpads.
Simple and cost-effective. Everything as I like :wink:

Mar 26, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #261 of 464
Looks very comfortable and well built - congratulations!

How does she sound?

Yep, they are really comfortable in comparison with other "big guys" on market. Everything is customizable, including clamping force and rotating angled earpads inside cups.

Sound... Who would say bad about his own project that took so many time to build? :wink: But I really like the result. The main achievement - it's a big sound with broad soundstage and excellent dynamics.
I've spent many time in friendly hi-fi store and compared with all major top headphones... No, I haven't built the best headphones in the world :triportsad: That's for sure, but they are still pretty good and dramatically differs from entry price level planars.

Mar 26, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #262 of 464
Looks fantastic, so excited to read reviews & own one

Thanks in advance. I've made a promise to Cskippy that I'll send him a sample when I'll be ready. First finished sample was sent locally - to russian reviewer, but soon I'll make several more headphones. Second one will be shipped to USA. I have all parts to make ~10 pcs right now.

Mar 26, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #263 of 464
Thanks in advance. I've made a promise to Cskippy that I'll send him a sample when I'll be ready. First finished sample was sent locally - to russian reviewer, but soon I'll make several more headphones. Second one will be shipped to USA. I have all parts to make ~10 pcs right now.
Let us know when the russian review is up - intend to read it with the help of Google Translate :beyersmile:

Apr 3, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #265 of 464
Wafflelron, hi! I read your thread and you made a mistake in tracing diaphragm
So let me explain how I did those mini speakers and I'm sure you understand about what I'm talking about

Step 1:

Tracing diaphragm

Please look, current in all 4 groups of traces flow in the same direction.

Step 2 - placing magnets between group of traces. How I made it I've shown on picture.

Step 3 - making a housing. That's the most simple. Just draw anything you want in any vector editor and cut it with laser.

Gray details are from steel, purple are from plastic.
If somebody is interested I'll explain how to make a membrane with conductor lines, what material should be used and how to assemble this.

I'm looking to make a planar speaker, could you explain how all this works in laymans terms?

I'm doing this as a project over the summer hopefully, but I don't really have engineering background. I have a few friends who might be able to help,but I'm really looking to understand how to build and work all the planar tech.

If it's ok, I think it would be cool to make the speaker circular and then I'll 3D print a body for it. Is that possible?

Thanks Garuspik!

Apr 3, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #267 of 464
Very broad question. If you have some specific question - i'll try to answer.

Thanks in advance. Believe me, that's project isn't only about money ( but for sure I want to make many headphones and sell them). So I'd prefer that people really understand what they're going to buy. To let everyone listen is impossible task, but I've sent samples to several reviewers already and soon will send to USA (Cskippy). So AFTER you'll read some opinions - you're welcome.

Well to begin, I'd like to further understand the building process. So you posted the whole thing about the tracing usjng the plotter cutter. When you cut this out, what is taking the place of those lines? Is that the magnet or is it like a piece of foil?

I guess I just need a more comprehensive explanation of how they work. I figure I can replicate what you built, maybe a bit smaller to get better treble (that seems to be my understanding) while still maintaining the bads, and if I mount it open and keep it relatively low resistance I shouldn't have an issue getting it loud enough to act as a speaker. I have a small amp that should be able to power it, I'd guess.

My questions are: how does the wiring work, where are the magnets and how do they effect the sound, how does the spacing and dampenkda effect the sound, will I have enough power in small circular diaphragms to use them as speakers?

I guess the construction is the hardest part for me to understand since I don't have any experience with this. Do you have any resources that I could refer to to better understand how they work?

Thanks again, and sorry for my lack of specificity.

Apr 3, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #269 of 464
My god man you're coming along wicked fast. Looking incredible so far. I'll be starting work on my planars again soon which should be fun. Out of interest, how much does it cost you to get custom magnets done? I've mostly been using off the shelf bar magnets but they have some downsides and I'd like to move to custom magnets at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back