DIY Planar magnetic heapdhones in details
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 11, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #229 of 464
project86 knows Tyll... and has posts there. = J G

Dec 13, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #231 of 464
If you or someone you know is going on a trip to Frankfurt in the next couple of weeks I'd love to give it a listen :)
I'm not sure how many headphones I've got, but enough to give it a good broad comparison.
(I would review the heck out of it too)

Dec 15, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #232 of 464
Headphonia sounds ideal.

Jan 3, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #234 of 464
Any updates on this?

Sure! New Year and new updates. Frankly speaking, I couldn't achieve from 1 membrane sound that I can consider full. First of all I mean high frequencies. Roll of have started too soon. So I've created some sort of 2 way headphones - coaxial driver where for bass and mid I use planar membrane, for highs - dynamic tweeter. Crossover frequency is 7 khz, order - first.
Currently I try to make the joint invisible and that's the main goal for now.
I do like how it sounds now. Never liked upper highs from planars. From my point of view dynamic headphones are clearly superior in this region.

Jan 3, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #238 of 464
Love this idea, planar base and mid / dynamic treble. Will be very interesting to see how you mount the drivers.

Of the headphones I have heard (for me) planars have the best base and mids.

Mounting is very simple - will show it soon. Just a small 28mm tweeter above the magnet system of huge planar membrane. Magnets of the of planar membrane attracted to magnet of tweeter + glue. I've tried to avoid re-reflections so nothing around tweeter hold it. Glue + magnets is absolutely enough (even magnet alone is enough. But I'm kinda reliability freak). And sure It's protected with grills inside earpads. Accidental touch of tweeter is ok, but not with knife :wink:))

Same thoughts about base and mids of planar. But for relatively good HF we need to use ultra thin film and percentage of faulty units within warranty term is too high because of that (first of all I mean Audeze).

Jan 4, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #240 of 464
I imagine selecting the “right” tweeter will be key i.e. the tweeter will need to blend with the planar driver. Both drivers should sound as one.

Indeed. + I need apropriate impedance.
Here is measurements of tweeter (without interpolation)
tweeter.png
With crossover frequency 7 khz and first order filter (6 db\octave) it's very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back