DIY Panel Drilling
Jan 9, 2004 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Magic77

500+ Head-Fier
I would like to know what other people are using for drilling out holes in their DIY Headphone Amp enclosures?

All I have now is a Black&Decker drill that can only drill up to a 1/2-inch hole.

What I'm getting at; is to be able to drill out the much larger holes for a Neutrik Locking Panel Jack or the larger On/Off switches.

Can anyone suggest anything? Thanks.

Jan 9, 2004 at 5:11 PM Post #2 of 9
I picked up a couple of Unibit stepped drill bits off eBay for less than $20 each. But if you want to use the really large ones, you'll need a drill that can take a larger bit shaft than what you probably currently have.

A small drill press that would suffice for most DIY projects can be had at Sears for ~$90. This, with the Unibits, would be far and away the easiest way to get the holes exactly where you want them, and at the correct diameter. However, this is quite an expense, if you're only talking about using it for 1-2 projects.

You might look into getting a drill press vise. At least then you wouldn't have to manage keeping the face plate in one spot AND the drill. With one of these, you only have to worry about if your drill is staying put.

You could also use what's called a knockout punch. A company named Greenlee is the one you'll run across most commonly making those. Doesn't require a drill. But they are somewhat expensive (not that the Unibits aren't!).

Jan 9, 2004 at 5:21 PM Post #3 of 9
Up to 0.5" I use a Unibit, but anything larger than that I use a Greenlee punch. They are rather expensive (around $45.00) but are invaluable if you will use them often and with aluminum or metal. I wouldn't recommend them if you are working with plastic. They do require a 3/8" hole to be drilled though.

Jan 9, 2004 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks. Yes; I am looking for an inexpensive way to do this though.

I would like to install the Neutrik locking panel 1/4-inch jacks on my 2 Pimeta Amps. Of course this jack is quite large; So I guess I'm looking for the easiest solution to get it done.

I don't need to invest in anything expensive since this will only be a one-time thing(making 2 holes).

I have the Hammond 1455 cases. One has the metal panels and the other has the plastic panels.

Jan 9, 2004 at 6:03 PM Post #5 of 9
Magic, I would more than happy to punch the necessary holes for the Neutrik and the rocker switch for you. All you would need to do is to starter punch where you want the openings and I will take care of the rest. Let me know.

Jan 10, 2004 at 8:06 AM Post #6 of 9
I just use a hole saw and clean up the edges with a file.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back