DIY: Mini--> Mini
May 3, 2011 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

ambchang

500+ Head-Fier
I am in the process of getting a good quality mini->mini cable for my iPod-->amp setup, and have realized that those cables are just too expensive.  I am looking at cables that are between $150 to $250, and I just could justify that (plus I don't have the $ for it).
Instead, I am thinking DIY.
What I am looking for is some guidance from you seasoned DIYers and make sure I have everything right before I order.
Materials:
2 mini-jacks
a foot of silver speaker wire
Soldering kit
Solder
Is it simply a matter of connecting 3 speaker wires to the 2 mini-jacks, and that is it?
Also, what kind of jacks should I use?  I am looking at Viablue now.
What kind of speaker wire should I get?  I found this website http://www.vhaudio.com/wire.html, and is looking at the 18AWG Silver w/AirLok insultation
Also, what about copper wire, where can I get good quality copper speaker wires from?
Thanks for all your help.

May 3, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 25
Hello,

I just ordered enough to make me a Mini to Mini cable (me too :p).
I'll use Jack with right angle (the same as in ALO Audio) Neutrik.

eBay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/Neutrik-3-5mm-stereo-Jack-right-angle-NTP3RCB-/120549574058?pt=UK_Consumer_Professional_RL&hash=item1c115085aa

For the wiring I took the simple queue 22AWG (18 is too big). I use wire copper cabling.

I hope to receive my order soon, I can put pictures of mount if you want :wink:

May 3, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #3 of 25
How much is your copper wiring?  I found some on ebay, but they are pretty cheap:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/100ft-18AWG-Oxygen-Free-Copper-Speaker-Wire-/320570808547?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa38258e3
http://cgi.ebay.ca/25FT-18AWG-GAUGE-SPEAKER-WIRE-CLEAR-OXYGEN-FREE-COPPER-/140532561848?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b864b7b8

Not that I mind them being cheap, just that I don't know if they make a difference in terms of quality of sound, as good quality copper mini to minis are selling for about the same price as silver wires.

May 4, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #5 of 25
Oh no, just ordered 18awg silver.  Will see how it works out, if it doesn't, can always purchase the 22awg.

Will let you know how it turns out.

May 4, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #6 of 25
My cooper wiring is about 0,50 cent/metre :D
I just finished construction and 22 AWG cable was just the right size!

Here is the plugs I used:

And here are the tiny welds. Worthy of surgery ^ ^

The final result:

And now, with that I'm going to link a Hifiman ALO Rx.

May 7, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #9 of 25
Did u guys use Silver plated copper or pure silver wire?

May 25, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #10 of 25
Finally finished the wire.

I used Viablue plugs, with 18awg pure silver cables.

I will upload the pictures later on.

The problems I have is that:
1) I can't braid the cables, as the cables are too short, and stiff
2) I can't get the cable wraps around the cables properly (you will see when I upload the pictures).

The cables sounds amazing.  I never thought that the cable would make that much difference, but it does.

The sound is much crisper and brighter.

I used to use a cable with Cardas cable and some no name plugs.  They sound OK, but these new cables blow them out of the water.

I am looking at creating another cable with either Viablue or Switchcraft plugs, and OFC.  I want the Oyaide, but they are just too pricey for me.

May 25, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #11 of 25

Quote:
Finally finished the wire.

I used Viablue plugs, with 18awg pure silver cables.

I will upload the pictures later on.

The problems I have is that:
1) I can't braid the cables, as the cables are too short, and stiff
2) I can't get the cable wraps around the cables properly (you will see when I upload the pictures).

The cables sounds amazing.  I never thought that the cable would make that much difference, but it does.

The sound is much crisper and brighter.

I used to use a cable with Cardas cable and some no name plugs.  They sound OK, but these new cables blow them out of the water.

I am looking at creating another cable with either Viablue or Switchcraft plugs, and OFC.  I want the Oyaide, but they are just too pricey for me.

Try soldering your own LOD instead of a mini to mini, the jump from mini-mini to an LOD with an iPod makes more difference than materials ever will. Fiio LOD > ALO mini-mini if you're using both out of an iPod, simply because the integrated in the iPod frankly isn't very good.

May 25, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #12 of 25

Quote:
Try soldering your own LOD instead of a mini to mini, the jump from mini-mini to an LOD with an iPod makes more difference than materials ever will.

^^
What he said.
I don't know anything about the Fiio LOD's, but soldering your own isn't too difficult. Helping hands and hot glue are useful in this case =)

May 25, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #13 of 25
I bought an LOD jack as well, one that goes LOD to mini.  It arrived yesterday, but I haven't tried it out yet.  I will test it out tonight when I got home.  Can't wait.

The reason I went with this set up (LOD jack to mini --> mini interconnect) instead of a LOD --> mini is because I am setting my eyes on the ALO solo, and will require a mini --> mini to connect the solo to an amp.

I guess my next step is to go with a new portable amp, I am using a Tomahawk now, and am struggling as to what to get next.

May 25, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #14 of 25
Wow, that thing is expensive.

I wonder what makes it special.. and whether or not a bantam DAC, etc. could be used in a similar way.
Hrm..

EDIT: oh, it looks like it uses apple propriety interface rather than USB audio.

But seeing as iOS uses the darwin kernel and is basically a full fledged unix OS.. there is no reason you shouldn't be able to use USB audio with it.
Might not be in the stock kernel distro though.. and you need to USB OTG to work.

May 25, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #15 of 25
sorry nullstring, but this is where you are being a little bit naive. there is a big reason you cant just use usb audio with it,

Firstly it requires for the ipod to be told its alright to send the data
Secondly the output is likely to be pretty jittery,
3rd you will have to use a dac that supplies its own power for the usb receiver as ipod will run out of juice quickly otherwise.
4th it took Matt McBeth (the designer) quite some time to develop this device and he has been contracting for Apple for years (then it took ages to get approved, copyright lawyers, music industry approval etc) 

then you have software, as with the solo the dac controls the ipod so the data stream is sent according to its needs. the way its described on the alo site, it sounds to me like the lesser known isochronous end-point, not the asynchronous they say. but thats without all the info, so totally could be wrong there

i dont know why you would use the bantam in this way, no offense to the designers, as it was designed as an entry level cheap dac project for people just starting in diy to get their teeth into. Personally i dont see it as an upgrade to the internal dac, more like a downgrade, as at least the last version i saw just used the pcm270X usb receiver's own internal dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back