DIY Magazines
Nov 22, 2006 at 3:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

damballah

Head-Fier
I'm a huge fan of Make Magazine. Does anyone out there have any other DIY Electronics magazines that they're a big fan of? I'd love to get a couple more subscriptions for my reference library, but I haven't seen much that really excites me out there of late. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
S

Nov 22, 2006 at 4:34 PM Post #3 of 6
Unfortunately my recommendation is a magazine that has been out of print for 10 years. Not even sure if you can get the CD of all the issues anymore either. Although, I don't rememeber seeing anything concerning headphones, it's mostly about DIY tube amps and horns. Anyway, Sound Practices is my favorite magazine, reguardless of topic, ever.
Other great mags out there that you can purchase back issues on CD is Glass Audio and Valve.

Nov 22, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #5 of 6
I read all three of the magazines that Tangent posted on a semi-regular to regular basis.

AudioXpress is basically Glass Audio, Speaker Builder, and Audio Electronics condensed into a single magazine. I'm actually sad, because now I would definitely purchase all 3 magazines separately since they had a lot more content back then.

Nuts and Volts I think acquired most of the stuff from Popular Electronics (RIP), and focuses on all sorts of random electronics stuff, from basic analog circuits, to robotics, microcontrollers, and so on.

Circuit Cellar focuses primarily on microcontrollers and embedded systems.

I find most of my DIY stuff online now, though. Forums are definitely where it's at.

Nov 23, 2006 at 9:19 AM Post #6 of 6
I don't know how regularly it comes out these days, but you should check out Vacuum Tube Valley. I think all the back issues are available. Plenty of good information and always a project or two. Issue 16 has a slick headphone amp I built and enjoy. Check them out here:

http://www.vacuumtube.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back