DIY iPod Dock
Dec 24, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spasticteapot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How did you make that? Did you use a router to create the depressions in the wood?

yes, I used a dish cutter and extension from MLCS, make sure you get the correct cutter that is slightly larger than the extension

Router Collet Extension and review

MLCS dish cutters, V-groove, sign lettering router bits, router letter template set

you will need to get the # 7815 and then get a seperate guide bearing for the bit

adaptor bushings and ball bearing guides

get # 227 bearing to equal the dish cutter size, you must get these in order to clear the extension

good luck

Dec 24, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks nice, but you have the left channel backwards. If you would follow my link, you would know this.

Pins 1 & 2 : Ground (attach these together, some ipods don't like separate grounds), in fact you may also want to attack Pin 11 as well to these.
Pin 3 : Right Signal
Pin 4 : Left Signal

Just swap the connections on the left RCA socket to opposite of that you have in the diagram, then either attach both Left and Right RCA grounds together and run a single wire to Pins 1 and 2 (jumpered) or run separate wires from each RCA, but do make sure to attach Pins 1 and 2 on the iPod connector.

Side note - you'll want larger caps than 0.33uF to couple with a 10K impedance portable amp, 4.7uF is the "standard" for making sure there is no distortion, but don't expect ALO to follow that.

thanks, I have larger caps, thsi was just example

Dec 24, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #20 of 28
well here it is, I have the P51 amp in the tray and the iPod playing, music. It works great, thanks to all that helped me with the wiring and pinouts.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Dec 27, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #22 of 28
Good job
beerchug.gif

Dec 29, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thumbs up, looks good!

Could you post a picture of the innards as well? Especially how the connector is located, thanks!

I will in the future, but pretty simple. I took the pod breakout form

PodGizmo - Gizmos for the Technology Generation

cut a whole in the top of the dock then lined it up and used a glue gun with slow set glue to keep it aligned and then let it cool and its done, it works great

Jan 2, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #24 of 28
well, I will be adding the chrge opting to this dock thanks to some info from the head-fi forum, I will post some more pictures later

Jan 2, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #25 of 28
Could I get a pic or something of how the back, Ipod holder-up'er thing is connected to the rest of the dock? Thanks. And this thing is gorgeous, what kinds of wood did you use?

Jan 2, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by unl3a5h3d /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could I get a pic or something of how the back, Ipod holder-up'er thing is connected to the rest of the dock? Thanks. And this thing is gorgeous, what kinds of wood did you use?

I use cherry, maple and birdseye maple then with some antiquing oil then with wipe on poly

Jan 3, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by todd@tk7.net /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use cherry, maple and birdseye maple then with some antiquing oil then with wipe on poly

Sweet. How is the stand thing that is keeping the Ipod upright attached. I see the screw hole on the main dock but what about the other piece?

Jan 3, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by unl3a5h3d /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sweet. How is the stand thing that is keeping the Ipod upright attached. I see the screw hole on the main dock but what about the other piece?

if you look at the pictures at:

Ipod Dock

if you look at the pictures, you will see a routed recess in the dock that acts as a giude for the support stand, also look at the back is a 2nd piece with a slot for the adjustment using the thumb screw in the threaded insert shown

Users who are viewing this thread

Back