DIY interconnect disaster!
Jul 4, 2004 at 9:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

nkd

100+ Head-Fier
Well I was just about to make a mini to mini using my new pure silver cable... I cut the sheath to the right length, cut all the bits I didn't need, and even tapered the covering so that it wouldn't be such a tight fit in the connectors. Grabbed my wire strippers and went to strip the first wire to the right length... applied a little tension... Damn wire came completely out of the cable!
biggrin.gif

Without that wire to hold things together, the second wire was so loose that it came out with the slightest pull, leaving me with a thick cable with double silver shielding, but no wire
rolleyes.gif

I suppose it would make some interesting jewelry... maybe i can sell it on ebay and make back some of the money the cable cost
biggrin.gif

Jul 5, 2004 at 7:30 AM Post #2 of 6
Try putting the wire back in.

Seriously. a lot of teflon-insulated silver wire is made by taking small-diameter Teflon tube and pushing silver wire of the appropriate diameter into it.

Jul 5, 2004 at 10:03 AM Post #3 of 6
And worse case you can always put it down as practice for your love life when you get old and grey!
biggrin.gif

Jul 5, 2004 at 10:20 AM Post #4 of 6
Next time you do it tie a knot in the middle of the cable before you start stripping the ends........ this ensures that the conductors will not move, or in your case, be stripped out of the sheath.

Pinkie.

Jul 5, 2004 at 11:53 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Next time you do it tie a knot in the middle of the cable before you start stripping the ends........ this ensures that the conductors will not move, or in your case, be stripped out of the sheath.

Pinkie.

Unfortunately, by tying a knot you also stress and possibly break the silver, especially if it's solid-core as opposed to stranded. (the vast majority of "audiophile" teflon/silver wire is solid)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back