DIY IEM/Headphone Cables
Jan 7, 2024 at 11:56 PM Post #91 of 107
Ah I see...
so I guess the combo for timbre should be Bispa gold platted + what solder? mudolf supreme or gold silver
Also can you give me the exact model of that bispa 4.4 plug you're talking. I'm not familiar with these haha
thanks for your feedbacks!
I think the plug alone is enough to get you that timbre. It's a bit too complicated and expensive to test solder as I would need to get even more plugs since desoldering isn't easy so I just always use Mundorf supreme or SMIC 4% silver solder for more general purpose.

This one:
https://bispa.co.jp/2658
In general Bispa plugs have the best tone which is very pristine bell like that you won't miss when listening to instruments like the higher notes of a piano.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 9:43 AM Post #92 of 107
Hye love reading your DIY journey thread....
I need some advice.... I recently bought a hakugei cable from their AE store,
1) Im not sure if it's a real pentaconn plug (could be fake tho)
2) they're using mudolf supreme..

The issue I had with the cable is,
1) it is lacking reverb..
2) mid-range/vocals abit lacks forwardness body,dry and soulless, strings just dont have the reverb or echo on hits.
3) treble had this lean yet hazy sound.
4) But the stage is wide, quite fast in transient only that it lacks dynamic and timbre lacking realism.

I am considering furutech FT-7445 plug but the last time I tried using this on my CEMA, the sound become too smooth in detail and dull in dynamics..
I have a guy who can do the welding but I need some advice as to which plug and solder to replace...
change the plugs to either with pentaconn ofc (pricier option) or with bispa brass 4.4 if you're looking for reverb and openness in the treble section
the solder paste i would recommend if you just using either mundorf supreme silver gold or using some korean almit 19.

Jan 10, 2024 at 1:21 AM Post #93 of 107
This is the BQEYZ Dew. Look how industrialised the insulation was made. It's even elastic and should last forever even thou all the joints between the wires and the plugs were cold joints - no desoldering was required to detach the wire from the plug.
Sound-wise it's ok, got a big stage but the treble is very unrefined and even clipped and the clipping is highly likely due to the quality of the plug so it's opened up for some plug changes.

Edit: yup, the piecing treble peak, the haziness and the clipping are all gone with a plug swap. Still an unimpressive cable, haha.
20240110_140512.jpg20240110_140202.jpg20240110_140806.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 2:03 AM Post #94 of 107
Thanks for your advice @saldsald @adgun If anything I'll ask you two again.

Jan 15, 2024 at 3:50 AM Post #95 of 107
@adgun I just contacted my friend, he managed to get this https://bispa.co.jp/2206 but cost more than Pentaconn 4.4 NBP1-14-001
so which one should I go if I am after for the best naturalness of timbre, to improve instrument & vocal reverb and tone done abit of spicyness or dryness to keep things more natural without losing dynamic(like furutech experience).

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #96 of 107
@adgun I just contacted my friend, he managed to get this https://bispa.co.jp/2206 but cost more than Pentaconn 4.4 NBP1-14-001
so which one should I go if I am after for the best naturalness of timbre, to improve instrument & vocal reverb and tone done abit of spicyness or dryness to keep things more natural without losing dynamic(like furutech experience).
that one is not bispa brass, but bispa cinqbes, its their totl plugs, it sounds way more revealing than pentaconn ofc but still give good amount of space.
and you wouldn't lose any dynamic by using that plugs.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #97 of 107
that one is not bispa brass, but bispa cinqbes, its their totl plugs, it sounds way more revealing than pentaconn ofc but still give good amount of space.
and you wouldn't lose any dynamic by using that plugs.

Does this means that the bispa cingbes is better suited to solve my issue as mentioned below?

--> " The issue I had with the cable is,
2) mid-range/vocals lacks abit forwardness body,dry and soulless, strings just dont have the reverb or echo on hits.
3) treble had abit too lean yet hazy sound.
4) But the stage is wide, quite fast in transient, only that it lacks dynamic and timbre lacking realism."

Or Would you still recommend the brass bispa plug better? mindgiving me the specific model of brass model? it is abit confusing 🤣 I try and ask my friend again.

sorry to bother you again and again.. I really need to sort this issue properly... as these plug re-termination is no cheap

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 9:20 PM Post #98 of 107
Does this means that the bispa cingbes is better suited to solve my issue as mentioned below?

2) mid-range/vocals lacks abit forwardness body,dry and soulless, strings just dont have the reverb or echo on hits.
4) But the stage is wide, quite fast in transient, only that it lacks dynamic and timbre lacking realism."

Or Would you still recommend the brass bispa plug better? mindgiving me the specific model of brass model? it is abit confusing 🤣 I try and ask my friend again.

sorry to bother you again and again.. I really need to sort this issue properly... as these plug re-termination is no cheap
I can chime in a little. In general, SHC "Cinqbes" plugs have more mids and depth but the mids can be too much for some wires and you will need to experiment. In terms of resolution I don't think there is any noticeable difference between their brass versions and the SHC versions.

1) Bispa plugs don't add much reverb. If you want reverb Furutech Alpha copper is the one to go with.
2) ditto but the Cinqbes plugs are a little better for this purpose.
3) Definitely will clean up the haziness.
4) I don't think a plug can add too much dynamic but a good plug cleans things up for better realism.

Jan 16, 2024 at 9:26 PM Post #99 of 107

Might as well get a new & better wire/cable

Jan 17, 2024 at 12:54 AM Post #100 of 107

1. you can get more reverb by using that plugs, BUT not much compared to bispa brass
bispa brass i mentioned is this https://bispa*co.jp/2657
2. you can get more forward vocals, more lively and definitely solved this problem by using cinqbes
3. definitely you will get much more vivid sound by using this.
4. you can get more dynamics & realism by using cinqbes, BUT it wont go up as night and day.

Jan 31, 2024 at 10:38 PM Post #101 of 107
AECO free shipping campaign should anyone interested:

https://www.aeco.tw/blogs/news/globalfreeshipping

We're thrilled to announce our exclusive February offer – enjoy FREE shipping on all orders throughout the month on the aeco website! 📦❤️ Don't miss out on this limited-time opportunity to shop without worrying about shipping costs.

🌟 How to Unlock Free Shipping:
Automatically applied at checkout.

🚚 Delivery Details:
Orders placed from 2/01 to 2/14 will be shipped on 2/19, following the order received. Orders placed from 2/15 to 2/29 will be shipped on 3/4, following the order received.

Feb 23, 2024 at 5:43 AM Post #102 of 107
It's been rainy here so finally I can bring them to the roof for some poor photoshots. :sweat_smile:
20230703_104027.jpg
20230703_104211.jpg20230703_104143.jpg
Silver Inner Core + Alloy Shielding (I will experiment with some better plugs later)Palladium-Silver Alloy Inner Core + Copper Shielding
20230703_104122.jpg20230703_104111.jpg
Hakugei Grey DragonHakugei Golden Phoenix
20230703_104102.jpg20230703_104049.jpg
Hakugei GaeaPWAudio 1960s Clone 4 wire 8 core
20230703_104033.jpg
"Premium" Copper Alloy
How does the golden phoenix perform in quality of sound/price ratio? And could you share sound signature impressions ?

Feb 23, 2024 at 7:19 AM Post #103 of 107
How does the golden phoenix perform in quality of sound/price ratio? And could you share sound signature impressions ?
It's alright, not spectacular. In general I find Hakugei's wires/cables are more for that taste instead. It has a very correct stage and correct sound that won't mess up anything but I find it slightly lacking in the treble resolution since I think it is a bit on the thin side, it has less conducting material than it seems.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #104 of 107
Is there any recommendations on a diy option for iem ear hooks? I have a cable that is already made, but I am missing the ear hooks. Any help would be awesome. I got some rubber sleeves that could slide on but they do not stay on. I thought about burning the opening to seal it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back