DIY IEM/Headphone Cables
Nov 2, 2023 at 5:48 AM Post #77 of 107
Hakugei Gaea
Finally took the initiative to re-do this cable. Honestly the soldering job was like crap back then and I consider this the most difficult wire to make an IEM cable with due to the extreme number of litzed wires per wire (like 516). It's insanely difficult to form the right shape to fit the soldering joints inside the plugs, and then the skin is so soft and doesn't take much heat, it can just be a nightmare to tin the wire for soldering. Also it's really difficult to insulate.

And here I have some advices if anyone cares. If you have a really soft wire with a soft skin, never do a flat braid like what I did, always do a square braid like below. And if your wire has a nicer harder skin it doesn't matter. Oh actually, if you have thick wires, like 1.8-2mm, you must do a square braid also.
20231102_174158.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 11:39 PM Post #82 of 107
20231106_123539.jpg
Probably the last or second last batch of Bispa plugs I can get from their online shop. I hope Wagnus, and probably PWAudio, Audiohive, Nobunaga, and Satin Audio, etc. will come up with a good alternative of Bispa :cry:

Nov 14, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #83 of 107
20231115_114638.jpg
20231115_114657.jpg

Just received this and it's a thick 2mm silver plated copper and copper wire (or alloy),...ok good thing is measured the resistance it's under 0.2ohm per 5m...and bad thing is it's quite stiff, not pliable at all. The plating is of very high quality and very conductive thou. I wonder if I can make a cable with it already. (And resistance is not directly related to sound quality btw, just measured for information).

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 12:58 AM Post #84 of 107
20231115_114638.jpg20231115_114657.jpg
Just received this and it's a thick 2mm silver plated copper and copper wire (or alloy),...ok good thing is measured the resistance it's under 0.2ohm per 5m...and bad thing is it's quite stiff, not pliable at all. The plating is of very high quality and very conductive thou. I wonder if I can make a cable with it already. (And resistance is not directly related to sound quality btw, just measured for information).
Ok it's not too bad and the key is to keep the splitter-earhook end long, like 60cm.20231115_135006.jpg
Not yet terminated.

Nov 30, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #85 of 107
Ok it's not too bad and the key is to keep the splitter-earhook end long, like 60cm.
Not yet terminated.
It's finally done.
Lowest resistance, heaviest and self levitating by its own stiffness. That gigantic Bispa plug really adds even more weight to this.
20231130_165025.jpg
Had to solder the wires to the pins this way...
20231130_162101.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #88 of 107
Hye love reading your DIY journey thread....
I need some advice.... I recently bought a hakugei cable from their AE store,
1) Im not sure if it's a real pentaconn plug (could be fake tho)
2) they're using mudolf supreme..

The issue I had with the cable is,
1) it is lacking reverb..
2) mid-range/vocals abit lacks forwardness body,dry and soulless, strings just dont have the reverb or echo on hits.
3) treble had this lean yet hazy sound.
4) But the stage is wide, quite fast in transient only that it lacks dynamic and timbre lacking realism.

I am considering furutech FT-7445 plug but the last time I tried using this on my CEMA, the sound become too smooth in detail and dull in dynamics..
I have a guy who can do the welding but I need some advice as to which plug and solder to replace...

Jan 7, 2024 at 7:19 PM Post #89 of 107
Hye love reading your DIY journey thread....
I need some advice.... I recently bought a hakugei cable from their AE store,
1) Im not sure if it's a real pentaconn plug (could be fake tho)
2) they're using mudolf supreme..

The issue I had with the cable is,
1) it is lacking reverb..
2) mid-range/vocals abit lacks forwardness body,dry and soulless, strings just dont have the reverb or echo on hits.
3) treble had this lean yet hazy sound.
4) But the stage is wide, quite fast in transient only that it lacks dynamic and timbre lacking realism.

I am considering furutech FT-7445 plug but the last time I tried using this on my CEMA, the sound become too smooth in detail and dull in dynamics..
I have a guy who can do the welding but I need some advice as to which plug and solder to replace...
It depends on which Hakugei cable I guess. The Furutech plug is best to pair with silver plated or silver wires from my experiments so if it isn't then it might become a bit too smooth.

If you want timbre realism, I mean absolutely best timbre you should try Bispa gold plated but they are closing down unfortunately although you can still get from their webshop under their current hungry marketing.

Btw, Hakugei do not use Pentaconn plugs as they are quite costly anyway and they use Mundorf silvergold not superme as I asked them once.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 11:12 PM Post #90 of 107
It depends on which Hakugei cable I guess. The Furutech plug is best to pair with silver plated or silver wires from my experiments so if it isn't then it might become a bit too smooth.

If you want timbre realism, I mean absolutely best timbre you should try Bispa gold plated but they are closing down unfortunately although you can still get from their webshop under their current hungry marketing.

Btw, Hakugei do not use Pentaconn plugs as they are quite costly anyway and they use Mundorf silvergold not superme as I asked them once.
Ah I see...
so I guess the combo for timbre should be Bispa gold platted + what solder? mudolf supreme or gold silver
Also can you give me the exact model of that bispa 4.4 plug you're talking. I'm not familiar with these haha
thanks for your feedbacks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back