DIY Headphones and Driver Options. Any Suggestions?
Jan 9, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:
Thanks for posting the link to your build process please keep us updated with how they are turning out.

I was having some really good results recupping a a second hand Grado Prestige Series SR-60i  last night- doing a sort of thunderpants treatment that seems to be working well.

So do most all the flagships make their own Drivers? Most headphones read - 50mm Titanium coated driver....The $15 Koss KSC75
has this same driver too.... I think I'm gonna order a pair of those for experimenting with....

I am all for cheap experiments. 

As I listen to the drivers I have, I think you are truly missing out on the audio technica drivers. They sound fantastic.  I will be posting more picture later tonight. I am making the pads and headband. 

Oh, and before I forget. Something that will help you out a lot when you start building your headphones would be making the baffels out of CDs and cork like mine, but also adding a 3 pin XLR jack for both drivers. Your cables will have to have 3 pin XLR, and you will need a lot of connectors, BUT the nice thing is that you can detach your cable from your driver so that you can test out your drivers as you progress without having to struggle with working around wires. 

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:
Hey angel, what wood is that? How'd you work those cups out?

It is quarter inch thick craft wood from a home improvement store called lowes. (I see that you are from bulgaria, so I assume you don't have lowe'ses there). I am thinking it is pine or some type of soft wood. 

I think you can see I made a bunch of concentric circles to make the basic shape of the cup, but to round it out I used a dremil tool with a special almost like lathe bit. http://www.lowes.com/pd_406615-353-115_0__?productId=3824357&Ntt=dremel+bit&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Ddremel%2Bbit&facetInfo=

The bit removes quite a bit of material, so after attaching it to the dremel, it was simply a matter of finding the right angle to sand down the wood to round it out. Honestly, I didn't think it would work as well as it did. I think what mostly did the job was patience and a good eye. 

After rounding it out, I took some sand paper and smoothed everything out. 

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #19 of 30
Alright, the sawafuji is definetly a tweeter with no bass response but it is moddable into a full-range speaker. The full range speaker, although lacking bass impact, adds some definete growl to the guitars and vocals, I havent really done much with it, i havent even put it in cups, let alone damped it, but i can say that a pair of headphones with 2 of these is going to be a winrar.

Edit: Scratch that, the bass response is more then adequate. 
Bass is quality, not quantity, extremely tight. Might become amazing once properly damped.

Jan 18, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:
Alright, the sawafuji is definetly a tweeter with no bass response but it is moddable into a full-range speaker. The full range speaker, although lacking bass impact, adds some definete growl to the guitars and vocals, I havent really done much with it, i havent even put it in cups, let alone damped it, but i can say that a pair of headphones with 2 of these is going to be a winrar.

Edit: Scratch that, the bass response is more then adequate. 
Bass is quality, not quantity, extremely tight. Might become amazing once properly damped.

Thanks for the update. I was just wondering about that. I might just have to order me a set to experiment with. I just put in an order to parts express to try out some of the their full range 2 inch speakers. I'll let you know what I come up with. Keep us posted on those ribbon drivers!

Jan 18, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:
Thanks for the update. I was just wondering about that. I might just have to order me a set to experiment with. I just put in an order to parts express to try out some of the their full range 2 inch speakers. I'll let you know what I come up with. Keep us posted on those ribbon drivers!

I'm going to need to order another pair because from a pair you only get a single driver that can be used as a headphone driver. Hopefully it will be faster than last time.

Jan 25, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #22 of 30
what kind sq you get?

Sep 30, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #23 of 30
Hello

I'm new to this forum, but are also hunting drivers.
Have you been here, as the sell spares for their headphones
Click on headphones then accessories I think?

http://www.beyerdynamiconline.com

32 ohm 50mm drivers £46 ea. though

Jan 10, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #25 of 30
  http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=194966

I am not done yet, but if you read post number 9 it shows a basic idea on how I constructed mine. I would honestly stick to ordering from audio technica. Everything that is a magnetic full range speaker is something that they don't even carry themselves. Everything else is complete crap unless you really think you can make a balanced based set of headphones. 

Thanks for letting me know that. I also came across that site. The stats/filters were extremely, EXTREMELY intimidating. Either way I don't like the site layout which is ...... horrendous. Furthermore, I have a question. What are you guys gonna make the driver casing from. I have a couple ideas in mind which require machinery. Machining isn't a problem but would like to use as little as possible. 

Apr 11, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #26 of 30
I was searching for drivers myself, and somewhere in the middle of all the threads I ran into a great source. There is a site (http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/audio-products/speakers/720966)
digikey builds subcomponents for electronics companies. Fortunately for us one of those subcomponents are headphone drivers. Even though these people seem to deal in bulk, I chatted online with a salesman who would be more than happy to sell me one single pair. The only thing is you need a part number printed on the speaker itself. They have no idea what driver goes to an audio technica model xx.

Apr 11, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #27 of 30
I submitted a reply concerning a source for drivers; unfortunately, since it is a link to another site the moderator has to approve it. You should get it soon. Please share it with the gentleman you were talking with.
The most important thing I learned from the man who gave me the website is something called "magnetically balanced armatures" Have you ever heard of them? It completely changed my outlook on headphones. They are rectangular devices that reproduce sound from ranges like 5-38,000.
They are in-ear only very small.
Enter those words on any search engine.

Apr 11, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #28 of 30
I just sent this reply to Angel about the conversation you are having looking for drivers.
I submitted a reply concerning a source for drivers; unfortunately, since it is a link to another site the moderator has to approve it. You should get it soon. Please share it with the gentleman you were talking with. (That would be you)
The most important thing I learned from the man who gave me the website is something called "magnetically balanced armatures" Have you ever heard of them? It completely changed my outlook on headphones. They are rectangular devices that reproduce sound from ranges like 5-38,000.
They are in-ear only very small.
Enter those words on any search engine.

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #29 of 30
Did you ever end up making that video you mentioned?
I'm in the process of trying to fix a pair of Meze 88 headphones, and would love to know how your process went. Video would be wonderful.

I'm considering buying a pair of Samson SR850's and tearing those apart for the drivers - unless of course someone has a better suggestion.

Jul 6, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #30 of 30
Just in case anyone is interested, I ended up going with these 50mm drivers from Lunashops

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4868

Not, bad - a little on the bright side and bass is a tad thin, but that might have something to do with the enclosure (Meze 88 headphones). 

A few thoughts on doing business with the Lunashops people. They're extremely rude when trying to figure out a problem with your shipping. In my case, they didn't write my address down correctly so it made it out to Honolulu, then got shipped back to LA and then somehow made it back to Honolulu (thankfully) where I was able to located it with the help of the post office. Lunashops was of zero help through this process, insisting that I gave them the wrong address (my verified paypal address), and basically insinuating that they weren't going to mail the drivers back to me if it had gone back to Hong Kong (which is what I was worried about once it went back to LA). Just be wary of what you could potentially get yourself into with them if you order through them and things go awry. Lunashops is definitely not on your side.

In any case, the drivers work ok. Not thrilled at the sound signature though. Anyone know of ways to temper down the highs or thicken the bass just a bit, so the sound is more balanced?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back